Cheap shelving?

I recall some years ago wanting to install some shelving and finding that a B&Q pre-packed kit was cheaper than buying the wood to do the job.

Although the kit had tastlessly profiled wooden pine shelves, these were easily planed down.

Anyone fitted any shelves recently and know if this still might be the case? I've got quite a lot to do and the price of timber these days makes me a bit jumpy.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Cheaper than bargeboard from a decent builders yard?

The brackets are the pricey things. You could make them out of the offcuts though.

Alternatively a sheet of ply or mdf would rip down to make shelves that need a strip of edging on their faces.

You need a support for every yard of length in a 1" thick shelf. Every

2ft for a 3/4" one.
Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Well the shelves we used before were about 1.5 inch thick so after planing looked much more expensive than they were.

For brackets I usually just screw some battens to the walls. Works ok but for one of the shelves I need it to be quite deep from the wall so there is a chance it could bow a little unless I use some thick wood.

I'll check out what's available at the timber yard.

Thanks for your advice. Rob