Call me a Dick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34753331
All UK homes and businesses will have access to "fast broadband" by 2020, David Cameron has pledged.
Access is the key word here. At what cost though? Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jonno" wrote in message

But how do they define 'speed' ? My hub claims 8.5 mB/s whereas BT's speed test says 6.3. I'm rural, (but only 50 miles from London) overhead copper about 1.8 miles of cable length from the exchange. Are they really going to lay fibre to each and every house. In my case the nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away !
Andrew

You start with FTTC. For us, that reduced the copper run from 1.5 miles to about 300 yards, and the speed from 4Mbps to 35Mbps.

In my case the remaining copper is only 100yds and I now get round 60Mbps - mind you with ADSL2+ I was getting about 7Mbps and with simple ADSL only 2Mbps. About the same distance from the exchange.
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk
On 07/11/2015 09:18, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes, but lots of people in rural area are far more than 300 yards away from the nearest cabinet.
--
Cheers,
Roger

So install another one that's closer. Anything else I can help you with?
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
On 07/11/2015 14:13, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes, there is!. If I live out in the sticks, several miles from civilisation with no other properties around, perhaps you'd like to tell me who is going to pay for installing a cabinet close enough to me to be useful, and connecting it up with fibre?
--
Cheers,
Roger

If someone chooses to live out the sticks, miles from civilisation, wtf does he want fast broadband? I keep on hearing bollocks about running a business from home, what business?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THlgzQDCW30

would be my first guess
--
Adam

ARW scribbled

That's more a 'hands on' job....
On 07/11/2015 16:59, Jonno wrote:

You're a dick, there, subject matter over and done with. :-)
I can think of many jobs that can be home based, admittedly needing an office area, and if self employed in one way or another I would call that a business.

Sometimes - a farm
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk
charles scribbled

Very seldom, most use a phone.

They can't fillin DEFRA forms on a Phone.
--
Please note new email address:
snipped-for-privacy@CandEhope.me.uk
On 07/11/2015 18:10, charles wrote:

You don't need fast internet to fill in forms.

The Guvmint kindly expects us to communicate on line.
They have also arranged that redundant farm buildings can be converted to light industial/business use under permitted development rules.
--
Tim Lamb

Yes so there are. I expect that at some stage BT will have more local cabs that are fed by fibre question is when?. VM OTOH have been or have done that since the word go and well it does work too:)
If your on their network of course!.
--
Tony Sayer

Maybe with your dinosaurs, but all the ones I know with a farm use a lot more than just a phone.
On 11/7/2015 12:15 PM, charles wrote:

Also, in my area, writers and artists of various sorts. Designers. IT people. It's amazing what can be done if you have a decent connection.