Call me a Dick

You're a dick, there, subject matter over and done with. :-)

I can think of many jobs that can be home based, admittedly needing an office area, and if self employed in one way or another I would call that a business.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Sometimes - a farm

Reply to
charles

Openreach. Round here, I suppose enough people got on BT's website and clicked the "We want Infinity" so that our exchange got bumped up the list.

There are plenty of people who are not on mains drainage and can't be, not on gas and can't be [1], not on mains volts and can't be. They make their own arrangements.

[1] Like us in our last village. Some people (not us) looked into mains gas, were told they'd have to pay for the pipeline to be laid from the next village. There's no gas here either.
Reply to
Tim Streater

We visited someone approx at 60 40'N, 1 03' 13"W who was running a genealogy website, with three large Mac Pros and some other Macs. Not sure what he did for network access.

Reply to
Tim Streater

charles scribbled

Very seldom, most use a phone.

Reply to
Jonno

Tim Streater scribbled

That's not something that needs to run quickly is it. It's not like the people he's tracing are on the move.

Reply to
Jonno

They can't fillin DEFRA forms on a Phone.

Reply to
charles

ARW scribbled

That's more a 'hands on' job....

Reply to
Jonno

Tim Streater scribbled

You need to contact "Call Me Dave" 10 Downing St, and he'll get you sorted.

Reply to
Jonno

[Checks the newsgroup line. Excellent, it's a sweary one.]

If someone chooses to live out the sticks, miles from civilisation, wtf does he want electricity?

If someone chooses to live out the sticks, miles from civilisation, wtf does he want mains water?

If someone chooses to live out the sticks, miles from civilisation, wtf does he want a telephone?

Now f*ck off and die.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Jonno writes

The Guvmint kindly expects us to communicate on line.

They have also arranged that redundant farm buildings can be converted to light industial/business use under permitted development rules.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think north of me people still phone the operator on 100 and ask her to read out bits from wikipedia.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You don't need fast internet to fill in forms.

Reply to
dennis

Isn't that a 118118 service?

Reply to
dennis

Also, in my area, writers and artists of various sorts. Designers. IT people. It's amazing what can be done if you have a decent connection.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A number of people in my area have had to go to satellite broadband, in order to handle their business requirements.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've always wondered why ISPs don't do a line sharing system. What I mean i s that if you have 6 dwellings, say in a terrace, using one ISP, customers could get anything from 1-6x the speed if all those available lines are use d for data. Out in the country a similar scheme might work using fairly sho rt range wireless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You are not alone.

You can't be near me, because the top of the hill is the good end, and we do have a cabinet. 800 yards from me, and over a mile from the other end of the village...

BT are once again saying "end of the year". For the 3rd year running. But now there's a suggestion that they might install a cabinet in the village.

By the end of _next_ year...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And have you ever used Sat BB?....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

Yes so there are. I expect that at some stage BT will have more local cabs that are fed by fibre question is when?. VM OTOH have been or have done that since the word go and well it does work too:)

If your on their network of course!.

Reply to
tony sayer