Wire shelving fell

I had been cleaning out my closets this past weekend, and finally got a lot of boxes on top of our wire shelving that should have never been put up there. However this morning, I awoke to the sound of one of the shelving falling down. The anchors in the wall just came out.

I figure the weight from up top was keeping the shelf balanced with the weight of the clothes hanging. Once the weight on top was removed, the clothes was just to much.

So, I'm planning to spackle and then re-install the wire shelf (with half as much clothes hanging this time!) My question is will the spackle be enough to hold if I put the anchors in the same place? Or will I need to drill new holes for the anchors in different locations?

Reply to
floax

Spackle is AWFULLY strong, but I personally prefer to hit studs or rafters.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The little plastic expanding anchors are meant to speed up the installation, but the screws should hit studs wherever possible. The J-clips that hold the back rail should have either hold down flaps built into them, or you should install some of them upside down to keep the shelf held down.

RicodJour

The spackle will pull right out. You need to find a better place to anchor it or switch to moly bolts if you can't go into a stud.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

NO.

At a minimum the anchors need to be replaced and relocated. Better yet is to locate the studs and use the shelf clips that have screws. One every 16" into a stud and fill in the ends with the hollow wall type.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Post down to the floor at each end of the closet rod with 1x4s. That will hold up pretty near anything.

Reply to
Goedjn