Re: Old Codgers Only - SubTitle: Trifocals in the shop

The distance from the screen to my eyes is grater than from a book to my eyes. Just using my arm to screen, my elbow is just slightly bent. Pivoting to where I'd hold a book, it would be below my knees. That is why progressive is better in that the distance changes and so does the lens at that viewing angle. Works for me, could vary with different eyes/prescription combo.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

(you figure it out)

Now that your worst fears are realized. :> , actually it is was once even worse than that - I played 5 string banjo in a working bluegrass band for many a year, and still pick a little guitar for fun, but bass has been my main axe for about 40 years, both upright and electric.

Reply to
Swingman

ROTFL ... "my head "reformatted"?? ... does that get rid of the FAT at the same time?

.... a great concept, BTW, and thanks for the reassurance. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Yep ... I tried that, in the dark, this morning ... almost exciting as that first parachute jump.

That is what I noticed first, and sorry to hear that it might not change with use. I'll give them a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Sounds like everything else in life, from a choice of wife to the color of your car ... everyone is different.

Thanks for the perspective, Mike.

Reply to
Swingman

It does .... I've moved the computer screen further back and that seems to have helped, along with Edwin's suggestion about actual position of the lenses in front of the eyes. I'll be glad if I can forget about them at some point ... the older I get the less I like any kind of change.

Reply to
Swingman

Man, I'm gonna get me one a dem CD's!

Nah, it coulda been worser - ya could been a drummer.

(BTW I'd send ya the drummer jokes but I think that you're the one who posted them in the first place.)

I be likin' it when it's picked proper and the onliest time I hate it is when it's frailed by them damned Mummers, to the tune of Oh Dem Golden Slippers.

Well, I've always thought that a band could be topless but should never be bottomless.

Reply to
Tom Watson

A couple years ago, during an eye exam, my doctor told me about double D's that he had made for a few folks in one of the trades, cant' remember which one. I have used them in the shop and think they're great. What they are is a bifocal, which is like a letter D, with another D on the top and the space between the straight parts of both D's is for normal distance. These are large lens safety glasses. They save a lot of crooking of the neck when trying to line things up or setting blade/bit height.

Reply to
Dennis Johnson

I wouldn't put up with them for more than a week if you don't seem to be getting used to them. My eye-doc told me some folks have trouble with them and to come back if I had problems. I "kind of" got used to mine and wore them for a couple of years; but the reading field was very narrow, like yours. After a couple of years it was time for new ones I told them I wanted to go back to regular bifocals. I was told they could grind an adaptation of my old lens and if I didn't like them after a week or two they would give me bi's. The new grinds are MUCH BETTER.

Reply to
RonB

Check your real e-mail.

Reply to
Swingman

One more on "progressive lenses."

I wear trifocals and am very happy with them. I tried the progressive and found that every straight line had a bow. I learned to put up with it for one set of glasses, but for the next one went to the "old fashioned" lined lenses. I'm much happier with them. Age 67.

Some things I learned:

If you flood the surface with light, your pupil closes down, and the image gets sharper because the there is greater depth of the focused field. Remember back in the days when you SET the camera, how f2.8 (wide open) would give you a lot of fuzzy and f16 (pretty small) would put everything in focus? Works for the eye too. I went out a bought a lot of lights for my shop. Frequently my focus problem was a light problem.

When I bought my glasses, I had a second set of lenses ground, for not very much, from safety glass material, put in sturdy frames. They are not actual safety glasses, but put more material between my eyes and whatevers happening that shouldn't be.

I bought a set of "cheap reading glasses" for project work, where I needed to see up close out of the TOP of the lens. They are very dizzymaking when I walk with them, but they save a lot of neck craning.

When I taught computers, I had my trifocals made with a larger mid distance piece, set for the distance that I was at standing behind a student. With the regular grind, I had to get my head so close to the screen I was worried about being sued for sexual harassment.

Walt C

"
Reply to
Walt Cheever

Roger wrote in news:L4qdnSg snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I actually went the other way around. Had lined bifocals first (cause I'm cheap). Couldn't stand the parallax distortion. Switched to lineless, no problems since.

I'd actually asked a number of cow-orkers, and I think the split was about 50-50 betweened lined and lineless, among folks who'd used both. It seems like it's a real personal sort of thing, rather that what you first use. (YMMV, of course).

Regards,

JT (Check with your insurance; in my case, they charge for lineless; however, when I opted for lined, I had something like 30 days, then I could go back, and they'd re-do the lenses for only the difference in price between the two. It made the decision really easy -- opt for cheap first, and when that didn't work, pony up the few extra bucks for lineless).

Reply to
John Thomas

That's essentially what my optometrist told me a few years back when I was having my eyes checked.

Reply to
Upscale

Anyone who would ork a cow simply can't be trusted.

Reply to
Swingman

Well I can certainly relate to the distortion problem that you mention. I have tri-focal safety glasses and progressive glasses for non work activities. Both have drawbacks when you are performing precision alignment activities such as operating a hand electric drill.

Try buying reading glasses, full size (not half glasses) with the magnification that you require for a particular purpose. Wear one or the other around your neck and change between the two as necessary. You will not have the alignment issues with magnification only lenses. Just don't forget to remove the magnifiers before you walk away and let the floor come up and meet you.

Reply to
STOVEBOLT

I do use these for the closeups - the scattered all over syndrome - and they do help. It's actually when I don't have any spec's that causes the most interesting results :-(

I am becoming accustomed to the effects and am really thankful that most of the distortion is not obvious when I do any cuts or similar with single focus glasses.

...and to ease the fears of others it doesn't seem to affect longer range viewing like when driving. I only see the one lane (or as applicable) and going in the same general direction. :-)

Ed

Reply to
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Tue, Apr 26, 2005, 11:26am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) laments: Here lately (fast approaching 62)

I just dropped by to post, and this thread popped up. So, I thought I'd see what you old guys were up to. Then I read this. Damn, I'm 64, and I don't even consider myself middle-aged yet, let alone old. You must be spending too much time thinking about it. Just ignore it, it won't go away, but it won't bother you. That's what I do. But, if you're having problems keeping track of your glasses, don't let 'em go when you take 'em off. Hold 'em with your little finger, put 'em in your shirt pocket, slide 'em in the gap between two buttons of your shirt, or in the neck of your shirt. Then no prob. Or you could choose the sissy route, and get one of those thingies that hook on your glasses frame and loop behind your neck. I use a magnifrying (sic) glass, or loupe, at times.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:26:04 -0500, Swingman wrote in rec.woodworking:

Since you're approaching 62, I guess I have 5 more years of experience than you do.

I did a lot of computer work wearing bifocals, and finally bought glasses with my reading (bottom half) prescription all over. That works fine with a computer screen. The difference in my two corrections is small enough that I can also do shop work and such without too much problem. I also have two pair of those really cheap magnifying glasses. I can't remember the actual diopter numbers of those, but the ones I used for working on things like circuit boards really get the ol' nose down in there. I can't use those for more than a few seconds at a time, and dasn't walk across the room with them. The other pair is weaker, and can usually be found near the router table downstairs. I've gotten pretty good at swapping glasses without losing the idle pair. Not too often, that is...

Reply to
Dick Yuknavech

We discussed tri/bi/quad/ focals, how about lens coatings and treatments?

I have the type that darkens in the sun. I hesitated getting them for years because I was afraid they would stay too dark. Now I won't go without them. No more clip ons or second prescription sun glasses to carry and change.

Anti-glare is also good. With the self darkening lenses you can't have anti-glare on the outside, but it helps even on the inside. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thu, Apr 28, 2005, 5:31pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (CW) says: Tried them. Hate them. My optometrist says that about twenty five percent of people can't (or won't) get used to them, including him.

All I's got is bifocals. Years back regular glasse worked great for me. Then got an eye problem and two eye doctors agreed it would be solved with bifocals. All it did was make me need bifocals.

When they first gave me bifocals, they had a little area, toward the bottom, move your head any at all, and lost focus. Plus, had to tilt my head waaay back to be in focus to read, resulting in sore neck. So I had 'em put the bifocal area from the bottom up to almost the center of the glasses. Works like a charm. When I'm reading, just look down, and in focus. Look straight ahead for anything else. But, If I'm looking at anything real close, 6" or so and less, do best by taking the glasses off. Or, I can use a magnifying glass or loupe.

I'm thinking if they claimed I needed trifocals, I'd opt for an extra pair of glasses for whatever the extra was for. But, I'm thinking bifocals will suffice, and I'll stick with magnifiers for really close work. Good for burning ants too.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:q0bce.3701$Xl.2711@trndny03:

The first auto-darkening lense I got didn't work for crap. The last couple have been *wonderful*. I'm not sure what the difference is/was - the first set may have been glass, with the 'darkener' incoporated into the lens.

I know the last two have been physical coatings on plastic. I won't have glasses without this.

And also second the anti-glare. I just got this (it's by Zeiss) on the latest pair, and I won't live without this, either. Much less specular highlights from point-sources at night. Waaaaaaay better.

Caveat about the self-darkener -- won't help you in a car; however it works, it's apparently UV activated; I think the car windhields must have some sort of UV coating.

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas