O.T. Reader glasses

I am 67 and frequently have to use a 4X magnifier to read labels.

Would some reader glasses help?

Thanks.

Reply to
AK

Probably. YOu can probably buy cheap ones at Dollar Tree dollar store, or maybe another dollar store. If you like them, you can get more expensive later, or not.

At Dollar Tree, they finally raised prices from a dollar to 1.25, and if they don't have something on the rack, you can take any product they sell and see if it helps you read that lable.

I started when I was about 50 with 1.25 (diopters?) and haven't had to increase it in 25 years. I coudl probably read a bit better with 1.5 but 1.25 has the advantage that I don't have to take them off to look in the distance.

Plastic glass framss are, it seems, meant for women and will last about

2 months before they break at the hinge. If you can find metal, they last a year or two, and you can bend the arms to make them igtht when they are loose.

If you can find Wide-Frames, that's even better, but they are rare.

I have some that have lasted for 3 years. When I travel I take 4 pair. When I woke up in the plane last time, I couldn't find the ones I was wearing, and I lost another pair sometime during the trip. But they are only $1.25 a piece. Maybe I'll take 5 pair next time.

The supermarket has them for $10/pair. If my uncle Cornelius leaves me money, I may buy some of them.

There are s till some things I need a magnifier for but I think I always would have for those.

Reply to
micky

micky snipped-for-privacy@fmguy.com wrote

Bullshit with the best ones.

Mine last forever.

Not from china they aren't.

Reply to
Kron

Go to any drug store. They'll have readers on display in multiple magnifications that you can try out.

Reply to
Dan Espen

More bullshit from the biggest bullshitter.

How the f*ck could you possibly know that? Frigging idiot.

Thanks for the shopping advice, Rodless Slowspeed.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Do you bother to read?. I was talking about a $1.25 a pair. Only you would think those are the best ones.

Baloney, not if you bought the ones I was talking about.

The group of ones I was wriing abotu are also from China, I'm pretty sure. You're in Australia. You have no idea what's sold around here.

Reply to
micky

Thanks for the good advice.

Andy

Reply to
AK

If you have moderate to severe astigmatism, they will help but not allow you read without significant eye strain after a few minutes. If you have prescription glasses for distance vision, for each of the lenses, hold the frame at arm's length and rotate the frame clockwise and counterclockwise centered on the middle of each lens and stare at the middle of the lens you're testing. If you are corrected for astigmatism, you'll see the image distort as though you were looking at a funny mirror at a carnival. If you don't have significant or any astigmatism, the view will remain essentially the same as you rotate the frames. If you see significant distortion, you should get prescription reading glasses or consider bifocals.

Reply to
Peter

Probably not, but if your use is only occasional you might be better off with something like:

TimR

Depending on age, you may be getting cataracts too. Good eye exam once in a while is good to have to prevent serious stuff. A good eye doctor will tell you to get cheap readers if that is all you need.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I recently got an eye exam with an eye doctor MD.

I have no problems.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I've had multiple eye doctors tell me that people should be glad when they are told that they have cataracts. Virtually *everyone* will develop some level of cataracts at some point. Dying is about the only way to prevent them.

I just scheduled cataract surgery yesterday. I'm going full-in. Toric for my astigmatism, Extended Depth of Focus lenses, laser assisted. $7K out of pocket, after insurance covers the "basic" surgery.

Hopefully, no more glasses, but there's no guarantee. I might still need glasses for low light, very fine work. In any case, they *will* be able to correct my vision with glasses afterwards, something that they can't do until the cataracts are removed.

A friend recently had it done (same procedure, same surgeon). She still needs to wear glasses when she knits, but she leaves them with her needles. She doesn't need glasses for anything else. (She says she still reaches to take them off before she goes to bed. Her brain keeps telling her "You can see clearly. Take your glasses off.")

One of the things that surprised her the most was how much better her color perception is. Everything just pops now that the cloudiness has been eliminated. Things that she thought were beige are actually white.

My biggest issue, aside from the constant cloudiness, is the glare from headlights. It's gotten so bad that on 2 lane roads the glare from approaching vehicles extends halfway into my lane. The new LED headlights certainly don't help.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On 9/3/2022 4:31 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote: u need.

I have to make an appointment with the doc to see what I need. Not planning to spend 7k though. I've been wearing glasses for 65 years so a few more won't matter.

I don't have to wear them all the time, only when I want to see.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am sposed to have my cataracts done, but can't see how no more glasses is possible given that the replacement lens is fixed focus.

My BiL was sposed to not need glasses, but with his recent cataract surgery, ended up needing reading glasses. My sister claims the surgeon stuffed up but I can't see that.

I have just recently read a memoir where one person said that they got a reading lens in one eye and a long distance vision in the other but can't see that that would be a very satisfactory result.

More likely for the best long distance vision and best reading vision imo.

In any case, they *will* be able to

Does she read much and does she have the best long distance vision possible ?

I don't get that effect and everyone says I have severe cataracts.

I can still read the small name signs on streets.

The only reason I need cataract surgery is because I can't actually reliably read the specific line on the eye chart my system requires for driving license renewal.

The other effect I get is that when driving it is better with the sun visor down. I get the same effect with the computer screen in daytime, in a very bright room. More contrast if I hold my hand in front of my eyes and look under the hand.

Presumably because both reduce the amount of light entering the eyes and reflecting off the cataracts.

I don't get that effect either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have found that yellow glasses over your regular glasses help a lot with the glare. I do not understand why car manufactures feel the need to put "landing lights" on cars. It is not necessary to light up objects a mile away. :-)

Andy

Reply to
AK

I tried out the readers out at the $ store. My 4X magnifying glass is much better and clearer. Andy

Reply to
AK

Fark, wota mess

Rod Speed

Worn glasses since about the third grade because of astigmatism and add bifocals when in my forties. Working in a lab, I had to wear safety glasses and got them for free at work. Only problem back in the old days was weight of glass safety lens. Now plastic lenses not a problem. I like the security of wearing glasses. Probably saved me a couple of times from getting hit in the eye.

My cataracts are minor but I see they have those expensive lenses that can adjust. Wife had both eyes done normally and still wears glasses. After a year or more she had to have the laser treatment for film that builds up behind lens. A friend had to do the same. Friend wears glasses and still had to get a new prescription a couple of years after cataract surgery as eyes change with age. Got me wondering if same would happen with those fancy cataract lenses.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The way they handle it where I live is that your "regular" eye doctor refers you to a surgeon if he feels that your cataracts are bad enough to be evaluated. The surgeon then determines whether they are bad enough to submit your numbers to the insurance company. The ins co won't even pay for basic cataract surgery unless they are having a serious enough impact on your vision, beyond what can fixed with glasses, or if the cataracts significantly impact your daily living, like mine do.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

"Yellow glasses" can only reduce the glare that occurs outside the eye.

When you have cataracts the light is disbursed by the cataract that is covering your lens. The glare happens *after* the light has entered the eye so no glasses will eliminate that.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson