Re: Old Codgers Only - SubTitle: Trifocals in the shop

I am near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other, and have astigmatism to boot. I had a pair made with the middle distance part large, a little distance part at the top and a reading part at the bottom. They were very good, until my eyes changed enough that I needed a new prescription. I get mine made of polycarbonate, so they are safety glasses too. It is still a pain in the shop, and watching TV and reading the paper at the same time.

Getting old is better than the alternative.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Thanks to all of you. I'll keep trying ... it's good to know that I am normal, in some respects, more or less.

Reply to
Swingman

Forgot one detail. The first time I had them on I did not care for them. Went back the next day and they set them to sit 1 mm lower on my eyes and that did the trick. The progression starts that tiny bit lower for me over the "recommended" setting. Just something to think about and perhaps try.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been wearing trifocal progressives since last summer. It took me about 10 days to mostly get used to them, and now I rarely think about them.

Give it a month, would be my advice.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Son-of-a-gun, what a timely "detail"!

Acting on your suggestion about placement (mine seem to work better up closer to my eyes than down on my nose), I've noticed that if I hold them hard against the bridge of nose with one finger they are _much_ better and I don't have to tilt my head nearly as far.

Many thanks for the postscript ... I think you may have saved the bacon with that one!!

Reply to
Swingman

I had to go to a separate pair of reading glasses three years ago for use with the computer. The optometrist told me that bifocals are generally long distance vision above and reading below which wouldn't help with the computer, so now I travel around with two pairs of glasses.

Getting older sucks!

Reply to
Upscale

Had the same problem. Progressive lens cured it. Worth a try. Most still give a money back guarantee if you don't like them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wore contacts for 35 years (still do on stage when I play) and tried that ... it worked fine until the sun went down, or the lights were low, then I couldn't see a damn thing. I was surprised because when I was younger and kicking around the world I often lost one lens and had to go for months before I could get to a part of the world where I could order a replacement, and it never bothered me then ... AAMOF, in five years the army never snapped to the fact that I wore contacts. I even passed the eye exam of a flight physical in OCS, but they got me on the color blind test.

Growing old is like trying to keep an old car running ... about the time you fix one thing something else breaks. Not bitch'in mind you, I am more or less proud to have come this far.

Edwin's fix seem to help quite a bit. I wore these things in the shop for about three hours this afternoon and for awhile there I forgot I had them on ... that's progress, and the master plan, IIRC.

Reply to
Swingman

I can deal better with three different pair of glasses than I can with the headaches that come from trying to foucs through the various distortion zones in the 'corrective' lenses. And so I do.

What I wear for woodwork is also what I wear for use at the computer. People in the office think I'm ignoring them, but they are just fuzzy- looking, most of the time, beyond easy recognition if more than 30 or 40 feet away.

Good luck finding what suits you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

OK Swing, what is it that you play?

I'm a converted Telecaster Jockey who runs a Martin D-28 these days (for about thirty-five years).

I brought the bottleneck with me from the Telly but don't use it as much as I once did - except when I see that little red headed girl, who gets me all fired up again, in several ways.

I've always been hoping that you were a gittar man (not a bass player) and certainly hope that you are not a keyboard man or a nasty percussionist (if you are - I have a lot of jokes to irritate you with).

The last place that I recorded at was Sigma Sound in Philly, and the Boardman was a gittarman, so things worked out just fine.

Of course, that was back when people still had eight tracks in their cars.

sigh...

It'd be OK if you were a drummer - a little disappointing - but Id'a wished that you was a real musician...

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:56:04 GMT, the inscrutable "David Merrill" spake:

There is no such thing as quality in progressive lenses. They're all 80% bad. Only the "sweet spot" has correction. The rest is a blurred mess. BTDT, traded them in for bifocals + single-lens reading glasses.

You mean "least bad", don't you? My trial pair was from Varilux. Never again! (See my post from a year or two ago for details.)

This is extremely anti-ergonomic on the lesser side, extremely dangerous on the other, such as while driving. They effectively blur your peripheral vision, making the spotting of oncoming cars or any vision through the side mirrors impossible. No Effin' Way! I'd rather use a cell phone while driving. It's less dangerous. ;)

Bottom line: I abhor those $400 vision-limiting MoFos.

------------------------------------------------------------------- Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services There is no try. --Yoda *

Larry Jaques

Everyone's eye are different, but I've never had those problems. I'd be looking for a new lab if I did because I don't have the problems you describe. I'm nearsighted 20/800 or so and have a strong prescription. YMMV. About 15 years ago I had a problem with my new glasses. The eye doctor swore it was OK and would not correct them. I went to a different ophthalmologist and he called the first one who fixed things rather than answer to a review board.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Didn't we all have this conversation a few months back?

Had to go to tri's when I was still driving OTR. SWMBO talked me into going to Varilux. +)_(*()^^&%$#$#

Learned immediately that when I was trying to bend the trailer around a corner to get into the dock that I couldn't see a darn thing!(leaning out the door looking back, as trailer end is already out of mirror range) Take 'em off and throw 'em on the passenger seat until done!

Biggest problem now is getting a crick in the neck trying to tilt head back far enough to see the monitor. I've been thinking about getting a pair of those reading glasses just to leave by the computer.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I started wearing bifocals seventeen years ago. Regular trifocals came six years later. If you participate in an activity that requires a non standard focal length of middle lenses, TELL your doctor. They can design/order a special lense. I am in a musical group where the music is 28 inches from my eyes, this is considerably different from the standard fifteen inch focal length of middle lense. I have never experienced the problems mentioned in this thread. Find a good doctor that will custom design what you need. It usually takes at least a week for lenses to come in. You won't get these types of prescriptions with the one hour service labs.

Bill in WNC mountains

Reply to
Bill

Norman D. Crow wrote: [snip]> Didn't we all have this conversation a few months back?

That's called "bifocal lock". I finally bought a pair of glasses ground to my bifocal prescription. They work great. I leave them next to the computer. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I think that you are confusing two things. There are tri-focal lenses that are split into three zones. There are progressive lenses that have no noticable division between the focal areas. Some people adapt to progressive lenses and many others find them very difficult. The progressive lenses have a continuous variation in power. The effect is that there is a very narrow range of suitable power for any viewing distance but there is some optimal power for every distance.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Computer glasses are great. Get a single power. you may be able to pick a suitable pair from the local drugstore. Just be sure that you are checking them for the proper distance. I got my computer glasses through an optomitrist as the needed power is greater than the drugstore glasses.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

But when you're reading, aren't you looking down? If so, that would make them not usable with a computer where you're looking ahead.

Reply to
Upscale

That's why I come in here...so I can feel young.

Reply to
Robatoy

I have worn glasses since 17... now 57. Went through bi-focal, no problem adapting. Went to tri focal a bunch of years ago, no problem adapting. My eye guy talked me into trying progressive lenses (ultimately from two different Mfg.s) wore each about a month... MAJOR problems! First I had to become like a "bobble head" moving my head while reading, etc., not just my eyes. Next it seems that style of lens induced astigmatism, which normally is not one of my visual defects. I finally went to the "Ray-Ban aviator" shape lens, with fixed segments for the three distance ranges and I have zero problems (and they are polycarbonate for safety) except the usual... sweat dripping on them while I'm looking downward. All said and done, I like my "lines", they provide a fixed reference point and cause no difficulty... and in this shape and size of lens allow for adequate latitude of horizontal and vertical range within each segment to allow for a more normal movement of eyes only. YMMV Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta