Happiness in applying a finish

When you discover you are working on the last piece instead of the 3rd from last.

Reply to
Leon

Was that happiness immediately preceded by frantic searching for the missing two pieces? ;)

RicodJour

LOL!!! Almost! When taking inventory of the 12 large piece I needed to varnish I only 11 where where they should have been. The 12th was some where else. Found it but it was not not directly in front of me so it was a bit hard to locate, it was over 2 feet and back 8 feet The piece was about 16"x 39".

Reply to
Leon

A tiny little thing, probably hidden by your bifocal line, huh?

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sounds good and that is going to be my excuse! :~)

Reply to
Leon

Until your friends mention that _you don't even wear glasses_...

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah but I do and they are bifocal.

Reply to
Leon

I hate wearing glasses - mine are bifocked up, too.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news:05e97391-08ff-4f69-ba7b- snipped-for-privacy@n13g2000vbv.googlegroups.com:

Until 25 years ago I wore no glasses. The my arms got too short,and I got reading glasses. When they became insufficient, I graduated to graduated focus glasses. Optician said to try them (real hard, but I did) and if I couldn't get used to them in 10-14 days, he'd take them back. It was indeed hard, but within a week it "clicked" and they work fine for me. Only thing is that I have difficulty sighting down a board to see whether it is straight. It always seems a little off ...

Reply to
Han

Graduated focus? Would that also be know as Progressive? If so, you never used bi-focal? I have been tempted to go to a progressive lens and most all makers will let you trade them back in for bi-focals but with no price difference credit.

Optician said to try them (real hard, but I did) and if I

I have that problem anyway. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I got screwed for a couple hundred when the damned progressives didn't turn out to be in any way usable by me. 80% of the lens has no prescription, so I couldn't even see what was in my rear view mirrors (side or middle) without physically turning my head. Ditto stairs and slopes. It just sucked the big one. I've never minded the little bifocal line anyway.

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well my eye doctor wanted to put me in trifocals on the last visit....I see that as having to move my head a lot more than I do now. Thinking I would give the progressive a try. BUT from what I have heard, if you go straight to progressive you get used to them fast. Go to them fro a bi-focal and you have a harder time.

Reply to
Leon

I have a different astigmatism in each eye. Progressive lenses left me half blind when I went to them because my prescription was no longer _there_. People who have only a focus problem might be able to use them, but active folks have a lot of trouble, as do all those with astigmatism. It's a "one size fits a few" kludge IMO.

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Leon wrote in news:n_ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes, progressive is another name. I just about got a headache at first, but as the guy said, it suddenly "clicked" and now I have been using them for years. I'm at least on my 3rd set.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was fine "bare-eyed" until 45 or so. Then at first reading glasses etc. Never had bifocals. You have a week (more or less) of painfull adjustment, but if you persist and do NOT go back and forth to othger glasses, chances are the progresives will suddenly "click". Of course there is no sound, but it was indeed a very sudden change from awkward seeing to seeing perfectly.

As always, YMMV, but I have heard this from many people.

Reply to
Han

I thought the look of a progressive set was a bit less 'ol' fogey, so I went for them. Never had actual bi-focals before so I became used to them almost immediately. A few times they made me stub my toes, but other than that, no prob...well...almost no prob. The improved look was certainly a big feature as chicks started hitting on me like crazy.... till I discovered I was just running into them.

Reply to
Robatoy

The thing I like about them is you can get the location and width of the progression varied (within limits). I've increased the reading-strength area w/ each new set as I've gotten older (don't know how that keeps going along with it, but it seems to... :( )

Reply to
dpb

I didn't wear glasses until four years ago. The change was pretty sudden, too. From doing fine to needing readers to even see the characters on the screen in short weeks. Six months later I was in bifocals; tops set for the screen, bottoms for the keyboard (which works out for reading books, too). Still don't need them for distance, though it won't be long, methinks.

Funny thing is that my eyes used to be 20/10 but now I have an astigmatism (so readers don't work well). Didn't think that was something that changed.

Reply to
krw

Try getting diagnosed with diabetes and then drastically lowering your blood glucose level almost overnight. I had to buy 4 different sets of readers to use, depending on the fluctuations. Tail lights looked like beachballs. And hitting a softball became nearly impossible. It took ~ 6 weeks to even out.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Yeah, people with focal problems ONLY seem to be able to adjust. I'm both far and nearsighted, plus dual astigmatism. I curse the day that office manager talked me into progressives, cursed her for about 10 days, then cursed the optometrist for not allowing me to pay the extra for bifocal reading glasses when the progressives were found to be shit. I almost took a sign down to stand in protest in front of that bastard's office over that one, I was so mad.