Happiness in applying a finish

Oddly about 6 years ago my far vision went from a 5.x down to 2.25, "over night". It remained that way for a bout 3 years. It is still much better than it was 7 years ago. My eye doctor was astounded. I could no longer use my regular glasses and could only see if I wore my glasses that I only used for working on the computer.

Reply to
Leon

I know exactly how you feel but was diagnosed 1 year after my vision changed over night. But oddly my vision got drastically better over night.

Reply to
Leon

Which you get to rediscover in 3 weeks when it comes time to rub out.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a bit of all that too. The worst is that I can't read things without the glasses

It was painful for (I think) about 6 days, then it vclicked, for me ...

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Also, because of a first time very good experience, which generally has stood with many subsequent visits, I always go to a Lenscrafters for optician's stuff. I have also gone to Cornell ophthalmologists for checkups, and they confirmed the Lenscrafters' doctor's utterances. Some lLenscrafters locations have given me more satisfying results than others, so YMMV ...

Reply to
Han

AIUI, old-fogey eyes are caused by the stiffening of the muscles around the lens that are used to focus. They "bind up", so the geometry of the lens can't be changed. Maybe you were always more "far sighted" and these muscles have been compensating all along.

My brother has worn glasses since he was two (bifocals as far back as I remember). His eyes were so far-sighted that they focused past infinity. His eyes have gotten better with age, but still is blind without his glasses.

Reply to
krw

On 10/19/2011 12:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Now _that's_ a trick, indeed.

Reminds me of a former colleague we named "Malaprop" telling of an accident of a parachutist whose main didn't open--he had long list of injuries topped off by "... and _two_ broken pelvises!".... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

On 10/18/2011 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Not an attempt to diagnose from a distance, but merely a cautionary tale...

Rapid changes in eyesight _can_ be warnings of other things. Lost a close friend/colleague years ago at a very young age to a brain aneurysm--it killed him one morning as he was driving to work. After the fact learned his only external symptom was he had been having such rapid vision changes but thought/blamed the hours of poring over computer printouts and sorry monitors and just bought new over-the-counter lenses to compensate instead of getting checked out thoroughly.

--

Reply to
dpb

No, it really isn't. Think about a point source of light at the retina/macula. The focus distance is where the light rays would again be a point, outside the eye. If the rays are parallel (never converge) the eye is focused at infinity. If the rays diverge the eye is focused past infinity. It really means that the eye can't bring the focus in far enough to even see an object (clearly) at infinity; even stars are a blur.

Was it only a practice jump?

Reply to
krw

It was five years ago, and nothing else was found. I did go through a period of A-Fib (cardioversion took care of it) just after it started, so I was pretty well plugged into doctors at the time. My eyes didn't go back after the A-Fib episode and really haven't changed much since.

One other odd thing I noticed at the time, after watching television for any time, my eyes took a very long time to refocus closer (basically couldn't see a computer monitor). Distance vision (such as long periods of driving) didn't have the same effect.

Reply to
krw

I have been far sighted since I was 7. I think that a combination of drinking 12 quarts of liquids a day for several months, being on a diuretic and eventually being diagnosed a year later as being diabetic may have had a lot to do with it.

Reply to
Leon

"Larry Jaques" >

They do now....One advantage of cataracts is new lenses. After a fair assortment of health issues and fairly a steep slide in eye quality I ended up with medication induced cataracts. They normally replace your original lenses with slightly far sighted lenses thus requiring mild reading glasses. Instead I opted for one near sighted and one far sighted (did need to talk the doctor into it) thus no glasses needed for reading or driving. Pretty much my only "old broken body part" that's almost as good as new....Rod

Reply to
Rod $ Betty-Jo

Huh? You pissed away your bad eyesight? Amazing! ;)

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques