Shop vision assistance

Eyesight not what it used to be. Could use a little help seeing the band saw blade and cut line to be followed. Have to get pretty close not to see real well. Uncomfortable and not real safe or accurate. Anyone know of a magnifier that could be attached to the saw to help with this. Thanks in advance.

MB

Reply to
nevems2

Borg Lowe's has a magnifier/light combination that has a moveable arm. There are also a number of these that can be had from artist supply houses, drafting suppliers, and places like Staples, Officemax, and Office Depot.

Some are incandescent and some use round fluoresecent lights. Most have choices of mounting by a clamp or by a weighted platform stand.

Agkistr

Reply to
Agki Strodon

Note that those come in two grades--there are the cheap Taiwanese knockoffs and the Luxo originals that cost 2-3 times as much. After I went through a couple of the Taiwanese jobs (when they're dead, they're dead--there's no source for parts) I finally bit the bullet and got a Luxo.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
George

Reply to
Dave W

It takes some practise but it's not that hard. Surgeons do it all the time and I've done hundreds of dissections at from 5 to 60 diameters. At first, I did stab my fingers with teasing needles and points of #11 blades but I did get the hang of it.

I strongly recommend he purchase a good magnifier and the circular fluoresent bulb and not go with the cheap one. As one other indicated, it should be mounted in such a way that vibration is as close to zero as possible.

Agkistrodon

Reply to
Agki Strodon

Unfortunately, you only get -one- chance with the bandsaw :-)

Darin

Reply to
Darin

Just having brighter light can help with eyes over 40 years old. You might try rigging up one of those clamp-on floodlights and see if it helps. I use a crane light with a small flood bulb on my workbench and I like its adjustability.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Have an adjustable light as well as the machine's light. Over 40 complicated by several eye surgeries. Artificial corneas caused a loss of fine depth perception. Will look for a good magnifier at the Borg.

Reply to
nevems2

I have one of those magnifier lights on an arm attached to my scroll saw. Helps a lot.

Reply to
CW

That's why you practice before you do the real thing. Such practice could be done without the blade in place, or it could be done on anything that involves the use of magnification until the ropes are learned. I use a magnifier lamp to build model airplanes with small parts but the skills are immediately transferrable to anything else done under a magnifier. The point is to do something under the magnifier until you get used to it before doing things that could hurt. Further, the vision status of the original poster seems to indicate that he's in some danger now.

Agkistrodon

Reply to
Agki Strodon

I had the same problem. It's probably time to give serious consideration to a pair of prescription bifocal safety glasses.

For most work I use a pair of impact-resistant trifocals in lightweight stainless steel frames. They aren't safety glasses; but they do make woodworking safer and easier.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Thu 27 May 2004 06:26:14p, Morris Dovey wrote in news:yAwtc.208$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Yeah, they make some really nice ones these days. Don't need 'em yet but a friend does, and likes his.

One of the smarter things I did this spring was buy a pair of safety bifocals. Never forget to put the safety glasses on now. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

In addition, Edmund Scientific sells some _big_ low-power magnifiers.

I haven't had occasion to go looking in several years, but they used to have some that were three _feet_ square. and _not_ gawdawful expensive, either. Like circa $50, if I recall correctly..

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Don't overlook the 'obvious' -- discuss the issue with your opthamologist, and see what the *professional* recommendation is.

If you wear glasses, low-power clip-on magnafiers may be a posibility.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:14:30 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

I found these to be just what the doctor ordered for fine work with my glasses on. Lights, multiple lenses, and clearance for glasses.

Open the package there and inspect the lenses. The first set I picked up had a nasty scratch in the lens and I had to take them back.

BTW, if anyone is looking for an 18ga brad nailah, their #42528 (1-3/16") model is on sale for $12.99 this week. Retail stores only.

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you got the scratch to spare, invest in a pair of bifocal safety glasses. I've had mine for about 3 months and they are marvelous!

Good luck.

Reply to
Philip Halverson