HELP! - Ceramic Soap Dish Won't hold in shower! What to use?

Hi all,

Well, I am stumped. I have a recessed soap dish which cracked and I am replacing it with a new one. The old dish had more ceramic material on it and now there is about 2 inches of space in the wall. I tried mastic, thin set and even tried adhesive grout. I applied a lot if this stuff to the back of the new soap dish and also in the wall space. Held it up with tape and all 3 times nothing wanted to dry behind the soap dish. Within a matter of days the dish just fell off the wall. What should I use to secure this thing. I think the problem is that I have 2 inches of gap in the wall that has to be filled. What would you guys recommend?

John

Reply to
baraka

I think what you are saying is that the part of the old dish that attaches to the wall is about 2" thicker then the new one. Is that correct? I also assume the dish is set into the tile with adhesive. If so I'd build up the difference with a piece of backer board where the dish is supposed to go before trying to attach the new dish. Just an idea, I have never run into this problem.

Reply to
Eric9822

Hot glue made for ceramic and add an bead of some silicon

Reply to
85Capri

If you have a 2" gap behind the tile , I would cut a brick , or concrete paving block , and secure it in place with a construction adhesive or tile adhesive. Then when that has set apply your new soap dish.

its possible that there was a cutout made for a recessed soap dish to be fitted. If thats the case there should be at lease 3/8" - 1/2" edge to secure the tile to.

Reply to
marks542004

John,

I had installed a ceramic soap dish a few years ago when I renovated our bathroom. The one I had installed had slots on the back of it so you could put one or two wood screws in the wall first, then slide the soap dish over the screws on to the adheasive. Jim

Reply to
Jimi

The standard way to mount a recessed soap dish is in a big glob of plaster of Paris. Note: this sets very quickly once you mix it up.

baraka wrote:

Reply to
Stubby