Kind of OT, Sweats

Stooping requires energy to maintain as it isn't a natural posture. All work done while stooping requires corespondingly more energy as a consequence. Neither of which might be obvious at the time.

The ambient temperture near the ceiling of a room on a warm day is probably quite high and isn't not helped by a lack of air circulation at that level. In the absence of a ceiling fan at least,

michael adams

michael adams

Not since all the heart operations. And goimg on te type II diets.

Seriously, get blood pressure and HBA/1C levels checked out and cholesterol. Especially if there is breathless/fatigue in there too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've always sweated more than most, and it seems totally hit and miss. All I can say is that when its very humid, the body is not good as removing heat, since the air is saturated with water, and you cannot use evaporation to cool yourself, So you sweat but it stays there and you get very hot and it drips and the like. You are probably sweating the same amount but in the cooler air it evaporates, cooling you down faster. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Stooped, so with top of body and head looking downwards but working upwards to the ceiling is awkward. You'd be holding your body at pecuilar angles and working against gravity. It's surprising how much additional effort is required to work on a ceiling when you can't stand up straight.

Add in that on a warm day ceiling height will be warm and without door and window open, little air movement to evaporate your sweat to cool you means one does get a bit sticky.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not 'quickly' (I'm 64 btw).

If I was doing that sort of thing (and in this sort of temperature) for say 20 minutes then the chances are the combination of the temperature, humidity and exertion (irregular muscle use / posture) would probably get me sweating ... but I don't think it would be profusely (just head / mainly etc).

The other thing I was thinking is how well we can deal with that situation seems to vary greatly between people. Like, the Mrs seem to be very 'temperature unstable', sitting in a room at 20 DegC and asking me if I'm hot and a short time later, with the room at the exact same temperature, if I'm cold (because she now is).

Maybe it's many years of motorcycling and not wanting to keep stopping to adjust my clothing for the optimal temperature has trained me to deal with (put up with) a greater range than some without feeling the need to dress differently?

I was out dog walking (7.5 miles) from about 2 till 8 (pm) yesterday and just wearing a T shirt on top. I was 'warm' for most of it and had a wet back from the daysack but at no point felt really hot or cold (even when we stopped to talk to people in the evening etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

<snip>

Your missus might have another reason that depending on how much younger she is...

You ceratinly get used to the normal temperature range that you experience. Living at 1400' it's a good wooly jumper colder up here than down nearer sea level. I find once the temperature gets above low twenties it's getting "too hot", even if there is a bit of a breeze.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When working with my head near a ceiling I would always start by removing at least one layer of clothing. (If you do it once you're up there people wolf whistle.)

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

She's older Dave (I went for the 'mature woman' this time (70+)). ;-)

It's funny. When I was 16- and used to go and visit my girlfriend on my moped you get to experience the 'outside more closely than you would in a car or even cycling or walking (where you tend to warm yourself up by the effort). Coming back late at night there were several hollows where you could feel the temperature plummet for a while and it would then feel positively warm on the other side. ;-)

Yeah, I can cope up to about 25, as long as I'm not working *too* hard but even if out on a long dog walk you can generally set the pace to ensure you don't overheat, especially when in the direct sun and with no breeze.

She can't cope as well with the hotter weather and partly why we have never felt the need to go abroad to holiday.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yep, I'm very fit, but have been sweating doing wiring a couple of times in last week.

Remove clothes = much better. A couple of days recently it as been deceptively hot.

Reply to
Pancho

Reply to
R D S

That was supposed to have a reply,

I'm the same, I have always sweat like a pig doing anything ceiling based, as has been suggested could it be that much warmer up there?

I think the effort of constant reaching when doing lighting shouldn't be underestimated too.

Reply to
R D S

Yup - particularly that combination of intense concentration while working in an awkward position (which in my case being 6'3" is usually somewhere closer to a floor rather than a ceiling - however light fittings do present a particular challenge[1]).

I tend to sweat from the head primarily, but once its over mid 20's then everywhere else! When doing that patio rebuild (especially on the days in the late 20's early 30's), it was just a case of drinking pretty much constantly to match the rate of loss! I also found out from wearing knee pads for extended periods, that my knees sweat as well.

[1] Being long sighted with varifocals, one has the problem that to see what I am doing I need to be looking out the bottom of the glasses, which is tricky without a flip top head. (remembering to take a dedicated set of reading glasses makes it much easier)
Reply to
John Rumm

Blood pressure is a little high - around 88 - 130. Fatigue I get, but work long hours in sedentary occupation. Do find that any serious effort results in the need for a recovery period. So far I have put this down to age and weight 57 - 5' 10" - 14.5 stone.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Guys

Thanks for all the serious and thoughtful responses. I half expected a flood of insults/criticism - but maybe it's the forums that attract that sort of feedback.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I only wear a shirt indoors and the only person to see me take it off would be er-indoors. Given my physique she is more likely to suffer from nausea than the impulse to whistle.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Hi John

For the reasons you have stated, I prefer to have different glasses for different tasks. I have a pair for close work 18", a pair for computer use 20" and a folding travelling pair for reading menus etc. 18". Maybe there's a design opportunity here - varifocal glasses that lift and lower on your nose. Probably get more market traction than the flip-top-head solution.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Yeah, I used to have two separate pairs, but tended to find that unless I remembered to carry the reading ones with me all the time, I would end up in a situation where I did not have them and wanted them.

Perhaps there is market for a set of "close overhead work" glasses, along the same model as the snooker playing ones, but with the close distance bit at the top?

I would have though that for electricians, car mechanics etc, could be quite handy.

Reply to
John Rumm
<snip>

Does it make sense that I generally were the same 'reading glasses' (eBay Ready Spex sorta thing) for all but very close / fine work (when I wear something much stronger)?

I mean, my daily's at 2.5 (might be 2.75, can see <g>) they are close to what my prescription should be (both eyes) for some role (reading?) but they are also improve my medium - long distance vision?

After the last eye test I actually had 3 pairs of glasses made up, one for each end of the prescription (reading / distance) and another stronger pair for close-up work but apart from a test wear of each of the pairs they remain in their box. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1
Reply to
charles

Ok, looks like pre diabetes at that weight. That would account for fatigue,and sweating. Sedentary is indicator. Has only just started to affect arteries - your cholesterol ratios are probably high.

exercise, *zero* carbohydrates and lose 3 stone.

And seriously ask your doctor for Hba/1C fasting glucose and lipid blood tests. If I am wrong no harm done, if I am right, I may have saved you a heart attack.

The insulin tolerance causes the weight, and the high cholesterol, not the other way around.

The Natural Philosopher