TOT: mugs

We were having a debate at the weekend about the manufacturing process for mugs. Is the handle added to the body or is it possible to mould the mug and handle as a single unit? If it is a two part assembly, what type of adhesive is used?

Reply to
Scott

Plastic or pottery?

Plastic single piece injection moulding quite likely.

Pottery, mug thrown (hand or machine) and handle separately moulded and attached with slip, ie a fairly runny clay as per the handle and body.

Don't they do pottery at school these days?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some mugs are slip cast, using a two-piece mould that splits down the line of the handle, and a third piece under the foot. The whole mug is made in one operation. You can usually tell a slip-cast mug or cup by the two dimples on the inside, adjacent to the points where the handle joins the mug. Jugs and teapots are often made in the same way.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If the handle comes off don't fix it back with bostik because the glue softens when the hot tea is added and you burn your bollocks.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The adhesive is the same material as the mug and handle. You stick unfired clay to unfired clay with wet clay.

Reply to
alan_m

That's why I'm so crap at woodwork. I was forced to do pottery because woodwork was full up.

(the fee paying boys got first dibs, but at least I wasn't Jewish. They wwere last in the queue for everyting)

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 12:05:13 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: <snip>

You might as well f'off completely then eh Jimmy?

See, what the likes of you (miserable trolls) don't seem to get is that it's often more than just a question that needs answering ... and some people like to get those answers from real people, rather than just a Wiki article or Youtube, or open the discussion up more generally.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You have expressed the sentiment far better than I could :-)

Reply to
Scott

This is how the discussion originated. The handle broke and I took the mug to a professional repairer (due to its sentimental value). He said the repaired handle was just as strong if not stronger than the original. It did break off, fortunately avoiding my bollocks and landing on a carpet that was fortunately the same colour as the tea.

Reminiscing - I remember someone at my school (in Scotland) commenting: 'Bostik - why would anyone want to stick their baws?'

Reply to
Scott

I agree but that is not what you have said to me in the past

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...
<snip>

Ah, but there are big differences here Jim.

I could tell from the beginning you were actually a 'warm and fuzzy' person (as opposed to a 'cold and prickly'[1]) and, assuming you just weren't aware of how you were supposed to post on Usenet, first tried to help and then tried to poke you into following the guidelines (even re basic case and punctuation etc).

It then became apparent that you were 'a character' (as we call eccentrics / nutters these days <g>) and so mostly left you to it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Jeremy Vine was on this morning and I caught a bit where one of the panel (someone I know from previous is a 'cold and prickly') was commenting about someone having a 'winners mentality' or 'losers mentality' and based on a running race where I think it was the 3rd place running took a wrong turn, the 4th place person then went into third, but allowed the other guy to overtake again to re-claim their position and they shook hands as they did so.

Everone else on the panel and all the other 'warm and friendly' people at home would have seen the gesture as the 'right thing' to have done as they would have understood how much of a 'hollow victory' it would have been.

The likes of JimK, Fredxx, Spike / Burk the Doomed etc would have taken the win if they hadn't tripped them over in the first place. ;-)

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I guess there may be a specific 'invisible but don't use it' type of repair but of all the handles I've re-glued, none have come off again, even when put in the dishwasher.

;-)

A good quality, high temperature, two part epoxy resin would be my first choice, if I wanted to use it. If not, maybe a superglue.

My go-to epoxy for engineering type jobs is one of the 'J B Weld' range (I've got some of their 'MarineWeld' ready for a job on a boat) and they do a 'HighHeat' version. They may be too thick (and often grey) for an invisible join on a fine white mug etc, depending on your goals.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you ever get the chance do visit the Gladstone Pottery Museum in Longton, Stoke on Trent. They have exhibitions with pottery workers giving demonstrations. The dexterity is amazing, when you look at the rate at which they put things together.

Reply to
bert

Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:TYmdnS_ snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Oh dear - I thought that is a good question I will look on YouTube as I may enjoy seeing the process rather than getting a few words of answer.

Reply to
JohnP

Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:TYmdnS7 snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

well I enjoyed watching this and discovered more than from just reading a direct answer. Thanks Google!

JohnP

This very much depends on the process used. most artisan mugs are made with no handles and slip, a kind of runny clay is used to glue them on after the first firing, then they can be decorated and glazed, the latter is a dip usually, then refired and it should all hold together, Now if its all made as one, you can get an issue where the drying and expansion rate near the handle causes small cracks after the first firing, this can result in the handle coming away later, only being held on by the glaze. There are of course many ways to make mass produced pottery items, and most seem to end in the thing ending up cracking or the handle falling off, at least that was my experience. I suspect moulds are used these days. I often wondered if you could injection mould using clay though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I did, it was fun, even if I was pretty useless at it?

Have you noticed that many pot Teapots have hollow handles, one assumed made in one piece with the pot?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There was a series called how is it made, which explained stuff like this in the simplest way imaginable. I'm sure its still out there somewhere. It probably also explains how to make moulds of body parts should you not want to 3D print them. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If we are opening up the subject, what are those machines called that push all the air out of clay and dispense it out like one long sausage? Extruder, perhaps? We had one at school, and it appeared to have a screw shaped rotating bit in the hopper where you put the clay in lumps, which drew it into its innards, then shoved it out the front in about 2 inch diameter rods. , This could be altered. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I was wondering, all those folk who have a tile or two broken of a non standard size, now unobtainable, whether an artisan potter might be able to knock a few up from a broken one good enough to fix the wall, obviating the need to get them off and start again? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa