What kind of glue? Fluorescent light fixture lens.

Just repaired/rebuilt two four tube fluorescent fixtures for use in workshop. Each has a flat semi clear plastic lens (or lense) light diffuser about four feet by two feet.

Unfortunately I chipped a small piece out of one corner of one of the light diffusers or covers.

What would be best to edge glue the small piece back in place? The broken off piece is triangular and about one half inch by one and half inches.

Much appreciated with good wishes for 2005. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Clear 5 minute epoxy or superglue would be your best bet but why fuss with it.

These 2' X 4' diffusers are readily available and very >Just repaired/rebuilt two four tube fluorescent fixtures for use in

Reply to
davefr

On 1/1/2005 5:53 PM US(ET), Terry took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Krazy Glue

Reply to
willshak

Solvent bond it. Most diffusers are acrylic so try a little methyene chloride or acetone. If you don't have the solvent, a piece of clear packaging tape on the smooth side of diffuser will work also.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

As An Alternative to glueing the piece back on , a creative measure would be to cut four triangular pieces of thin plastic, wood, or like thin material, that will sit in the corners without detracting from the lighting area, and make all four corners match.

By the time you pay for the glue to fix the piece that's broken, you're halfway to replacement cost, or more..........the plastic sheets are cut and ready at the home depot and lowes...........different textures and stuff too.CHEAP

Just suggestions at this time

If you have the Krazy glue you'll come out ahead on cost if that's your goal.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

1) Was mad at self for unecessarily breaking off a corner of the lens (lense?). New lens expensive! 2) Had the piece that broke off. 3) Yes; it isn't really necessary to put it back at all. But it would 'look' better when I 'casually' mention that I picked up the two fixtures dumped in a quarry, for free; (even two of the tubes that didn't get smashed work), and (boastfully!) say, "They work fine"! Also seem to have a habit of collecting fluorescent fixtures that can be rehabilitated; I've done so and given numbers of them to my neighbours to install in their garages/sheds etc. 4) While these two current fixtures are not fixed up fancy enough to use in say a kitchen or other room of the house they certainly work fine in the basement workshop! Thanks guys. Terry (Middle name "Scrooge"). PS. Some 15 years ago someone gave me two boxes of used tubes, from a group relamping job. Which turned out to be 'metric'; slightly shorter than the 'normal' tubes. At that time I had repaired and modified a couple of 'normal' fixtures to use these metric tubes. The other day I saw one of them over a workbench in my neighbours garage, that I had given his son some 12-15 years ago. It needs new tubes; now where did I put the rest of those metric tubes???????????? :-) PPS. Ain't this conservation/recycling fun? Well it's cheaper anyway, if you have the time to spend!
Reply to
Terry

Hey Terry. I broke a piece off the light diffuser a couple years back and just taped it back together with clear packing tape. It's stayed clear and held fine for at least 2 or 3 years. Give that a try for quick, dirty and probably permanent. It's pretty much invisible - definitely good enough for a shop or garage.

Cam

Reply to
Camilo