What kind of glue?

Need a little advice if anyone can help..

I'm building a walnut ornamental lock box for my pre-teeen niece. I want to line it with felt but I'm not sure of the kind of glue I should use. I'll cut the felt out in one piece so that it just folds in place for a perfect fit both bottom and lid. I had thought ot using just plain old Elmers white glue but I'm afraid it might bleed through. What do you think? If I accidentally got some glue on the front of the felt, how do I get it off.?

Bill Orr

Reply to
Bill Orr

I would use a spray trim adhesive. Check hobby stores and or an automotive supply store.

Reply to
Leon

There is a product known as "moleskin".

Basically a felt with contact adhesive on the back covered by release paper.

Cut a piece to size, then install the same way you would apply contact paper to say a book.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hi, Bill,

I've done a number of pub games which have green felt as a base. I find standard woodworkers' PVA fine. Don't spread it too thickly and you'll be ok.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

To remove the glue, use a 1:1 warm mix water:vinegar, blotting several times using a cellulose sponge moistened (rung out) with the mixture. To fix the felt to the wood, use a spray adhesive on the felt. Contact adhesive will work too (applied to the wood), but can be messier to use than the spray.

Reply to
Phisherman

The way I did this when I built a music box for my daughter was to cut some thin cardboard -- like the stuff you find on the back of a pad of paper -- to fit inside the box, then glue the felt to that with 3M #77 spray adhesive, then slip the felt-covered cardboard into the box. If you measure carefully, it will stay solidly in place without glue and yet be removeable if it ever needs to be replaced some day.

One piece for the bottom, with felt wrapped around all four sides of the cardboard. Once continuous piece for all four side, with felt wrapped around top and bottom. If you're covering the top, do it like the bottom.

john carlson

accidentally got some glue on the front of the felt, how do I get it off.?

Spray glue is less likely to bleed through, but it's messy to use inside the tight confines of a box, and it's hard to get off if you get it some place you shouldn't have (which you will.)

My solution to this is to cut poster board to rough size, spray with spray glue, then stick velvet to it. You want to be careful not to press down too hard, or the glue will bleed through. (DAMHIKT...) Once dry, cut the backed cloth to a precise fit. Depending on the shape, it might stay by itself. If not, Aileen's tacky glue (an extra tacky white PVA available in crafts departments and crafts stores everywhere) is good to use for securing the paper-backed cloth to the box.

You can also get away with sticking stuff using little dots of Aileen's directly on the box. This works fine IME, but it's extremely easy to inadvertently push one of the glue dots and send the glue squirting through the fabric.

Reply to
Silvan

Thanks, guys for your help. Several of your suggestions will work, I think. I'll get some of that spray adhesive and play around with it before I use it on my box. I may use the cardboard substrate suggested. I found one other adhesive that someone told me about. It is "Titebond" by Franklin ...Sanding Disk Cement. It can be applied to a surface and allowed to dry then apply a second coat and allow to dry clear. The surface is then pressure sensitive (like duct tape).

Thanks again

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

HI Bill

I've tried felt with spray on glue, flock, and pressure sensitive adhesive backed glue. The latter is the one I found worked best. I think Rockler and Woodworkers supply carries. it.

Good luck.

Reply to
Mike G