Re: Anyone used the external router speed control

Hi Spin, This was a much discussed topic in the past. To see the range of opinions go to

thoughts appreciated

Reply to
JGS

I wouldn't think that it's intended as the power switch while in operation. That's what the router power switch is for.

But if you mount it in a table, the speed control would be a natural alternative to the main switch, so I can see the problem arising.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I bought one like this from Harbor Freight, on sale, cheap. I do use it to cut speed just a little so I can run inch and a quarter bits on my old B&D router. Speed control is guesswork. I crank up the no-load speed as high as I dare, because speed will drop a lot under load. The device cuts torque as well as speed.

I keep a piece of lumber between me and the bit, especially when I'm using the larger bits.

Reply to
Joe28

I have a variable speed control on a table mounted PC 690. The unit was purchased from MLCS for about $25. I use it primarily for large

1/2 inch shank bits but I've also used it when I want to control the speed on different types (i.e., densities) of wood. I've had no problems with it and would recommend it, especially if you're using large diameter bits in a smaller router like the 690.

As far as the toggle switch is concerned, if you can't control the switch position (i.e., on, off, variable) you probably shouldn't be using a router to begin with.

Hope this helps, Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have a 3hp Makita router that I use in a table. The variable speed box indicated that it would not work with a soft start router (and my Makita isn't). I have used it numerous times with a 3" raised panel bit and rail/stile bits and have cut everything from oak to cherry and hickory. Although the router does slow down a bit when cutting something like hickory with the 3" bit, it quickly speeds back up.

Overall I've been most happy with it, but I would certainly buy a variable speed router or a shaper if I was going to spin 3" bits on a regular basis.

Jim

"Joe28" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Jim Schlatter