Progress On New House

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

Leon

Robatoy

Wow! Eight weeks from first shovel to moving van? I guess they didn't wait for the slab to set up before they were hammering on sticks. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Awesome Leon, you've earned it!

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Grade A Tradesman are left. All the Hacks have been weeded out! Are you doing any of the work? How many square feet is your home? I like the design, kinda like new meets old. What would you call the style? Also love the high Hip Roofs and the long windows. Also would love to know the Sq.Ft. cost? Lots of questions I know but this is my line of work.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Re: High hip roofs. Evidently high roofs are required here (East Alabama), which is nuts considering the weather. I sorta like my high hip roof (15:12) because it's giving me space in the attic (bonus room area) to put a decent shop. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Also meant to ask what that indent is on the left of the garage?

Reply to
Rich

to boot.

Are you participating with any of the finish or letting the builders do it? With your woodworking background, watching has to be a tad frustrating.

I thought we kept things going on our house. We acted as general contractor and broke ground in August of 2008. The sheet-rock crew finished the first weekend of December and we took over from there. We were able to move in on the first of February, 2009 but it was far from finished. I did have an excellent local shop do most of the cabinets but I did some of them myself. Basement is the 2011 project.

I have told several friends that when you finish out your own retirement home, you will spend the rest of your days looking at your screw-ups!

We get lots of compliments, but I know where all of those little buggers are.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'ma liking it!

Reply to
Leon

Thank you.

Reply to
Leon

there a re a few of us that tend to agree that the better workers are probably the ones working these days. Unfortunately I am only paying for the house. I wold have liked to have done the kitchen but that was basically our of the question with this type construction and builder. Sq Ft 2280. Approximately 1700 down stairs and 580 upstairs. The upstairs, a full bath, 1 bedroom, and a game room is pretty much dedicated to my wife and her quilting stuff. I get the 3 car garage for wood working. Style??? Clueless... however the front with the rock, which will also be att the base of the front porch posts, has an Austin, Tx kinda style of architecture, sorta. Cost about $75 per square foot.

.

Reply to
Leon

to boot.

Thank you, and yeah the guys have been busy. Oddly I try to visit every couple of days and 90% of the work is done M-F.

Are you participating with any of the finish or letting the builders do it? With your woodworking background, watching has to be a tad frustrating.

I would have liked to have done the kitchen but had no time and this particular type construction does not allow for any delay so to speak. I am involved in another kitchen job at the moment and that is being followed by a bedroom job and lots of stuff for theis house when I get the time.

I thought we kept things going on our house. We acted as general contractor and broke ground in August of 2008. The sheet-rock crew finished the first weekend of December and we took over from there. We were able to move in on the first of February, 2009 but it was far from finished. I did have an excellent local shop do most of the cabinets but I did some of them myself. Basement is the 2011 project.

I have told several friends that when you finish out your own retirement home, you will spend the rest of your days looking at your screw-ups!

We get lots of compliments, but I know where all of those little buggers are.

LOL.. You will forget those little problem areas as time passes. I have done some major upgrades to our current house and there were mistakes but I only really remember one.

Reply to
Leon

If'in some one was giving it to us. LOL

Fortunatley my wife and I have lived in our current modest home or 30 years and paid it off 14 years ago. We vowed to not have another mortgage and we won't with this one.

Reply to
Leon

Indent? Front Porch and or the in set rock. Actually the lower section of the front of the house is rock.

Reply to
Leon

They only sunk into the concrete a little bit. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

That's the very bestest Christmas present you could have given to yourselves, Leon. Congrats and ENJOY!

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Massive 8' x 8' front porch! I guess "whatever keeps the rain and snow off" works, eh?

Screen it in (I'm dying to try ScreenEze here) for a nice morning/evening rest area where you can wave to neighbors.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ahhh, you may be talking about the house number block.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you

Reply to