Office Desk Progress and Scientific SAG testing

I completed the major portion of the upper desk cabinet yesterday. This morning my wife and I brought the monster into the house and placed it on the desk. we did this at this stage mostly to insure that the unit would actually negotiate the double doors entering into the office. I wanted to do this before proceeding and finding out it just would not fit. ;~)

The design strongly relies on the strength of the 4, 3 1/2" oak rails that span the 90+ inches. The method used to test for SAG shown below is tried and true for me. I believe that there should be no noticeable future sag.

Below is the test fit on top of the desk. I still have quite a bit to do, add doors, cabinet backs, varnish on the outer surface of the front and back face frame, add feet to secure the unit to the desk top, a cubby unit to house 9 in/out drawers in the middle, the center arch trim to match the doors, and the top trim.

The plans.

Leon

"Leon" wrote

I just can't help myself with an opening like this one.

Is that the "Leon Fat Ass Sag Test"?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yeah! the LFAST. Should be inducted in to the FIG!

Reply to
Leon

I guess I should have captioned that picture with

"Does this make my butt look big?" LOL

Reply to
Leon

Judging by the picture, your pants seem to fit just fine. As for the future, we all sag eventually.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

The sag ain't in the span ... ;?)

Reply to
Swingman

In the interest of photographic interest you should have let your wife do the sag test. ;>)

Reply to
G. Ross

I'll mention that to her. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Sent my BIL a bumper sticker Does this ass make my truck look big... it was a pic of Obama... LOL... he loved it.

Reply to
woodchucker

NO WAY!!! My butt is bigger than his and will not withstand the comments made here

Just ask Swingman.

Kim

Reply to
Leon

Well sir, I am going to throw out the old "sagulator" program.

I have a new benchmark.

I wasn't ready for that pic, but just about knocked my laptop off my lap I was laughing so hard!

Desk looks great, Leon. And we know for sure it will hold up a couple of machines, right? ;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Glad to have put a smile on your face :-).

Reply to
Leon