Ping Leon: Quilt Competition

If SWMBO wants to vote for her favorite, I'll pass it along to the judges. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Nice setting ! for the beautiful quilts .

Here'a our local quilt auction - in case someone needs inspiration ...

They are even doing online bidding now.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

This was at a (very) small town's "Homecoming Weekend". 30 or so antique/crafts vendors on the church lawn, car show, etc. We left about a half hour before they closed the only 3 roads out of town for a 2 hour parade.

Best part of the morning was the tent with the Big Green Egg and Traeger grills. Free wood fired pizza, pork loin, bacon and that old time favorite, "seasoned and smoked" Goldfish crackers. ;-)

Free lunch!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sounds yummy ! Here's a song video mentioning goldfish - - but not seasoned & smoked - .. by a favourite of ours on banjo - with Tim O'brien - who needs to tour Canada a lot more !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

doh the banjo player is on guitar this time. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I gotta admit that I don't really agree with the sentiment in that song.

I like doing adult things with my 4 kids a whole lot more than I ever enjoyed doing the kid stuff with them. The teenage years, with sports and school projects were fine, but the diaper/toddler/grade school days? Nope, not a spec of nostalgia.

Maybe having 4 kids in 6 years will do that to a person.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

I was the oldest of the 6 mom had. She told me she was so thrilled when the last one moved out.

Reply to
gray_wolf

My issue is that once they moved out, they kept moving! I bought a trailer when my kids raced in the Soap Box Derby. A 13 year span that ended a decade ago. I still have the trailer, mainly because *someone* has moved almost every year since.

When I hauled Derby cars, it was set up with 3 rolling trays, using garage door tracks and rollers.

Now the walls are fitted with E-track so I can tie down furniture.

2 of the 4 kids are now thousands of miles away, so I don't think I'll be helping them next time. The closer 2 (merely hundreds of miles away) will probably need my help again.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

John, my vote goes to the 2013 featured quilt. Pretty darn nice, as they all are.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

OK, she said, on

the right, third from the bottom, and nearest the center isle. 9 Patch on Point with flower boarder.

Hope this is not too late.

Reply to
Leon

Nice trailer!! I never had kids but I have a lot of nieces and nephews. I'd visit them for a while but I'd leave when they started getting fussy. My sister would give me that look and say 'coward' under her breath. All but two are grown and have their own kids now.

Reply to
gray_wolf

That is a nice one, but alas, it was a one day competition on Saturday.

We left before the show was over to avoid getting stuck in town by the parade taking over the one main street. We went back later that night to watch the local acting company perform Gilbert and Sullivan's "Yeoman of the Guard". We tried to find out which quilt won, but the sidewalks - not that there actually were any - were rolled up and put away by 7PM. We were able to walk right down the middle of Main St. Saw maybe 2 cars in a half hour. Big difference from earlier that day.

Hey, thank her for voting anyway! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My wife is a member of a quilting guild, hosted by our local Methodist chur ch. What most do not realized is the deep divide between those who machine quilt and those who hand quilt (her guild does hand quilting). Either way , the end products are beautiful.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Our local charity auction had

126 hand-quilted vs. 82 machine quilted

As far as I know, they didn't put any barricades up between the two factions :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

urch. What most do not realized is the deep divide between those who machi ne quilt and those who hand quilt (her guild does hand quilting). Either w ay, the end products are beautiful.

I can't help but picture rival guilds playing a "friendly" softball game wh en suddenly Margaret slides into second, spikes high. The ensuing bench clearing brawl would be a sight to behold.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Must be a local riff between those entities. My wife is very computerized, started by hand stitching 20+ years ago. Anyway no one that she associates with including the church seems to have an issue with each other.

I told my wife years ago, you can hand quilt and produce a few quilts a year or you can make 10 times more with a machine. The machine quilts are more economical to make as time is saved. And of course she sell a lot and her quilting services to a number of quilters.

Reply to
Leon

Best way to unite the machine vs hand, add in fused quilting method.

Reply to
Markem

I still have the rack system stored under my deck. My kids aren't showing any signs of having kids, so if you want to get your grand-nieces and nephews into Soap Box Derby racing, you can have the hardware. They can start racing at age 7.

I might even toss in some world-championship winning secrets. My son was

13 when he won the World Championship in the Masters Division. That earned our family a ride in the Good Year Blimp. It was a pretty cool experience.

Let me know if you want any more information. I'm still involved with my local race organization.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

^5 to Derby03 Jr.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks.

Derby Downs, Akron OH just before crossing the finish line for the win.

On the ramps at our local race, prior to Akron. Yes, he is in the car.

In the garage, getting tuned up for a race.

DerbyDad03