Ping Leon: Quilt Competition

If SWMBO wants to vote for her favorite, I'll pass it along to the judges. ;-)
https://i.imgur.com/To7mcLI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oMbYCBa.jpg
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:00:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Nice setting ! for the beautiful quilts .
Here'a our local quilt auction - in case someone needs inspiration ... https://nhmrs.com/content/feature-quilts
They are even doing online bidding now.
John T.
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 4:15:50 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

This was at a (very) small town's "Homecoming Weekend". 30 or so antique/crafts vendors on the church lawn, car show, etc. We left about a half hour before they closed the only 3 roads out of town for a 2 hour parade.
Best part of the morning was the tent with the Big Green Egg and Traeger grills. Free wood fired pizza, pork loin, bacon and that old time favorite, "seasoned and smoked" Goldfish crackers. ;-)
Free lunch!
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 13:36:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Sounds yummy ! Here's a song video mentioning goldfish <crackers> - - but not seasoned & smoked - .. by a favourite of ours on banjo - with Tim O'brien - who needs to tour Canada a lot more !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_HsMQ_AQw

John T.

doh the banjo player is on guitar this time. John T.
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I gotta admit that I don't really agree with the sentiment in that song.
I like doing adult things with my 4 kids a whole lot more than I ever enjoyed doing the kid stuff with them. The teenage years, with sports and school projects were fine, but the diaper/toddler/grade school days? Nope, not a spec of nostalgia.
Maybe having 4 kids in 6 years will do that to a person.
On 7/20/2019 4:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

I was the oldest of the 6 mom had. She told me she was so thrilled when the last one moved out.
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 9:27:14 AM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote:

My issue is that once they moved out, they kept moving! I bought a trailer when my kids raced in the Soap Box Derby. A 13 year span that ended a decade ago. I still have the trailer, mainly because *someone* has moved almost every year since.
When I hauled Derby cars, it was set up with 3 rolling trays, using garage door tracks and rollers.
https://i.imgur.com/SxuP5zW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9l5f1Ju.jpg
Now the walls are fitted with E-track so I can tie down furniture.
2 of the 4 kids are now thousands of miles away, so I don't think I'll be helping them next time. The closer 2 (merely hundreds of miles away) will probably need my help again.
On 7/21/2019 10:07 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nice trailer!! I never had kids but I have a lot of nieces and nephews. I'd visit them for a while but I'd leave when they started getting fussy. My sister would give me that look and say 'coward' under her breath. All but two are grown and have their own kids now.
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 8:04:40 PM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote:

I still have the rack system stored under my deck. My kids aren't showing any signs of having kids, so if you want to get your grand-nieces and nephews into Soap Box Derby racing, you can have the hardware. They can start racing at age 7.
http://www.soapboxderby.org/aasbd-race-program.aspx
I might even toss in some world-championship winning secrets. My son was 13 when he won the World Championship in the Masters Division. That earned our family a ride in the Good Year Blimp. It was a pretty cool experience.
Let me know if you want any more information. I'm still involved with my local race organization.
On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 10:18:50 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

^5 to Derby03 Jr.
Sonny
On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 9:30:11 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:

Thanks.
Derby Downs, Akron OH just before crossing the finish line for the win.
https://i.imgur.com/1BZ4fqG.jpg
On the ramps at our local race, prior to Akron. Yes, he is in the car.
https://i.imgur.com/GjieMqo.jpg
In the garage, getting tuned up for a race.
https://i.imgur.com/lNpNkFi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ajLS1Uj.jpg
On 7/22/2019 10:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the offer but I don't think there's a market in my extended family. :-) I'll be 80 in Feb. and all my siblings are only 3, 5, 10 and 16 years younger than me. Most all my nieces and nephews are in their 40s except a couple of very late bloomers whose kids are 5 years an a 3 month old infant.
Cheers
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 3:15:50 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

John, my vote goes to the 2013 featured quilt. Pretty darn nice, as they all are.
Sonny
On 7/20/2019 2:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

OK, she said, on
https://i.imgur.com/oMbYCBa.jpg , the right, third from the bottom, and nearest the center isle. 9 Patch on Point with flower boarder.
Hope this is not too late.
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 7:28:29 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

That is a nice one, but alas, it was a one day competition on Saturday.
We left before the show was over to avoid getting stuck in town by the parade taking over the one main street. We went back later that night to watch the local acting company perform Gilbert and Sullivan's "Yeoman of the Guard". We tried to find out which quilt won, but the sidewalks - not that there actually were any - were rolled up and put away by 7PM. We were able to walk right down the middle of Main St. Saw maybe 2 cars in a half hour. Big difference from earlier that day.
Hey, thank her for voting anyway! ;-)
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 2:00:55 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

. ;-)

My wife is a member of a quilting guild, hosted by our local Methodist chur ch. What most do not realized is the deep divide between those who machine quilt and those who hand quilt (her guild does hand quilting). Either way , the end products are beautiful.
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 08:33:10 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Deb"

Our local charity auction had 126 hand-quilted vs. 82 machine quilted
https://nhmrs.com/quilt-catalogue
As far as I know, they didn't put any barricades up between the two factions :-) John T.
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 13:17:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Best way to unite the machine vs hand, add in fused quilting method.
On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 11:33:13 AM UTC-4, Dr. Deb wrote:

es. ;-)

urch. What most do not realized is the deep divide between those who machi ne quilt and those who hand quilt (her guild does hand quilting). Either w ay, the end products are beautiful.
I can't help but picture rival guilds playing a "friendly" softball game wh en suddenly Margaret slides into second, spikes high. The ensuing bench clearing brawl would be a sight to behold.