Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

Specifically, the G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw. I've seen some posts that seem to indicate that production has shifted from Taiwan to China. I would like to hear from someone who bought one within the past six months. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Teejaygee

Taiwan, got my last month.

Reply to
WD

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Several years ago, Wood magazine made mention that all the drill presses they tested were made in the same factory in Taiwan. Differences in fit and finish varied with the specs that Sears, Delta, Grizz, et al demanded. Switch placement and depth stop types were also specified by these customers. I've replaced parts like pulleys, quills, bearings, etc. from one make onto another with few, if any, hassles. Ergo, I'm pretty sure that all these import machines share the same source.

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

Reply to
Steven Bliss

I just got my 17” Grizzly saw this month and it says Taiwan. It does not seem to make much difference as this came out of an ISO9001 plant, and that speaks very highly for quality control. The saw was perfect in all respects. I could not be happier.

Reply to
marvin

Don't confuse quality control with quality -- one can produce an inferior product with a very tightly controlled process just as well as a good one. All ISO 9001 guarantees is the control of the process, not the product design.

Reply to
dpb

Yep. Quality control means that you can accurately maintain a standard, not that the standard is particularly high. In fact if the standard is fairly low then it's easier to maintain.

Example of quality control--I once had all four headlights on a Toyota I had bought new burn out within four hours of each other after 4 years of ownership. In that case I could have dealt with a little bit less quality control because it took place between 1 and 5 am in the middle of nowhere and I ended up stuck sitting by the side of the road with no lights until the sun came up.

McDonalds has phenomenal quality control. A burger you get from McDonalds in East Overshoe will be identical to one you get in Hollywood. That's quality control. You won't get that consistency from a five-star gourmet restaurant, but their worst will still be a lot better than McDonalds' best.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Take Ford for example.... I bought a 2019 F150 last year and it is a really nice vehicle but it has had a number of issues. Stupid issues that the dealer nor factory rep could figure out.

Oil burner to the tune of about 2 quarts between oil changes until the odometer hit about 14K. And probably as a result, valve clatter when accelerating. That started at about 7500 miles.

Some where around the time the oil consumption went away, I put in a can of top engine cleaner when I filled up with gas. Now the valve clatter is gone.

And a few other items that the dealer fixed.

Reply to
Leon

You obviously don't eat at McDonald's enough.

Maybe if they served the burgers while they were still frozen they would be identical, but once they cook/season/wrap them, there are differences in all three categories - not just across town and not just at different times, but often in the same bag.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have been looking at this vehicle, with a v8. Which engine do you have? I'm guessing you have one of the ones designed to be more fuel efficient. I'm a "little suspicious" of them, either because I'm not comfortable with change or I because don't know any better, or both..lol. What say you?

Happy TG, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Note that there is a service bulletin:

J. Clarke

Gee, thanks for the heads-up! Is that sort of "maintenance" covered under warranty? I printed it out, and I'll pay attention to the day of manufacture mentioned: 10/4/2019. It doesn't sound like a "fatal" problem, but it's nice to be aware of the issue.

Reply to
Bill

That kind of thing is an annoyance. I have a Jeep that used to suck up oil like crazy. Turns out that in that case they had fastened a plate in the intake system with bolts the wrong length so it didn't seal. Took a couple of days to get all the stuff off the top of the engine, replace the bolts and gasket, and put it all back together. And of course since it's sucking oil like crazy it's easy for it to get low, which isn't good for anything.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually the normally aspirated 5.0 V8

This is my first Ford ever. My wife and I were looking for a very comfortable truck to travel in. Since August 2019 we gave been from Houston Tx to Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio on one trip and last month to Roanoke Va. This truck is VERY comfortable, King Ranch.

I had a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 V8. That truck spoiled me. The engine was the best I ever had in any vehicle. Its gas mileage was good for a 2007 in 2007, not so good today. BUT wow that truck would det up an do. The low rear end gear ratio wand the culprit for the low gas mileage but give it the punch.

My current F150 has a much taller rear end gear ratio and has less punch but we get a legitimate 19 MPG on the highway. The dash computer says

21-22 but comes out to a real 19.

The oil consumption issue is a common complaint for 2018~2020 IIRC. I think it is just a very slow break in period. Once the consumption went away and a fuel additive to rid the carbon build up the not clattering for 7K.

FWIW an oil change requires 8.8 quarts... That might be an indicator that break in takes a long time.

Would I buy again? Hard to say. The Tundra seemed to be a much tougher truck. The aluminum body on the Ford seems kinda thin in the bed.

Reply to
Leon

Yes I heard of that bulletin just after the oil consumption dropped. I understand from an owner on YouTube the the new dipstick has a wider range between full and the add oil mark.

Reply to
Leon

I would not call that maintenance so much as a dip stick replacement that has a larger acceptable range of oil volume.

It is just something you should keep an eye on during break in.

Reply to
Leon

More than an annoyance in some instances. 2 quarts of oil low between oil changes could cause engine damage if you don't stay on top of the oil level. And with the carbon build up as a result, the engine clattered bad enough that there was considerable hesitation when accelerating during the engine clatter episodes.

Reply to
Leon

ISO9000 has nothing to do with quality. It's all about process. You can make a crappy product, as long as you follow the process to make it. ISO9000 = Make one crappy product then make them all crappy.

Reply to
krw

I thought "break in" went away with leisure suits.

Reply to
krw