Where is Grizzly Band Saw Made?

LOL

Had one of those too. They break down repeatedly with the same problem.

97 Silverado. 2 Alternators, Water Pump, 2 Intake manifold gaskets, 2 heater heater hose couplings. Blower motor.

I used to work at a GM dealership, Service Sales Manager, Parts Manager, and the GM for an AC/Delco wholesale distributor.

We stocked hundreds of single part number AC compressors, Starters, Alternators, and blower motors.

Reply to
Leon

Not an uncommon problem with any brand 4 WD. Ram has/had that issue too.

Reply to
Leon

Here's something that my daughter and I found quite interesting.

She had sent me the pictures of the campsite, the meal and the white truck on the cliff earlier this week. (The Thanksgiving meal was actually enjoyed on the weekend before Thanksgiving.)

She didn't send me that picture of her truck on the road until yesterday. Prior to that, when I was describing the trip to other folks, I had been using a picture that I found on the web that I thought was a good image of what the Rimrocker Trail was like. You'll notice that it's a Bronco, but more importantly, look at the location.

The image I was using last week:

The image my daughter sent me yesterday:

160 miles of trail. Hundreds of web images for me to choose from. Innumerable spots that she could have stopped to take a picture, and we both chose the same spot.

Coincidence or connection?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have just over 100K on my F150. So far, the only things I've replaced are batteries(2), tires(1 set), brakes, and plugs. Of course oil, filters, and all the routine stuff.

This is the only vehicle I've had that's gone over 100K. My Ranger might have limped over the line, before it was put out of its misery.

Reply to
krw

Current Family Hondas: 2017 Odyssey EX-L, 2019 HR-V EX-L,

2011 CR-V EX, 2007 CR-V EX-L

Former Family Hondas: 2004 Odyssey LX, 2006 Odyssey EX-L,

2007 Civic LX, 2003 Element EX AWD

Except for the 17 Ody and 19 HR-V, all of the other vehicles either have or did have well over 100K when they were either sold or traded in. The 04 and 06 Odyssey's had over 160K.

The insurance company bought the 04 Ody...

DerbyDad03

Did you get the 5.0L, V8?

Reply to
Bill

One word: Rust.

I moved South (from Vermont) with the Ranger. After a couple of years in Alabama, we moved 70mi up to the ATL area. The truck moved all my tools and bunch of other stuff. There was a pretty bad squeak in the read suspension so I took it in, thinking it needed new struts. Well... he *leaf* springs were rubbing against the frame. The spring attachment points would have been rust, if they were still there. "It's dead, Jim."

Some of the others were used but mostly rust got to them before mechanical stuff. My '74 Rustang-II went three years before it turned to (d0rust.

I've seen that car at the Home Depot.

Reply to
krw

Yes. Didn't think a "truck" and "turbo" went together well.

Reply to
krw

Thanks, good point! As far as my "uninformed" opinion goes, turbo translates into "shorter lifespan". This probably doesn't trouble the manufacturers that much.

Reply to
Bill

Doesn't seem to bother the people who buy 18-wheelers very much either.

Reply to
J. Clarke

All of my Hondas have survived the winters of Western NY and New England with hardly any rust to speak of. Rust was never a reason to have gotten rid of any of them. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that about the 07 Civic. A few months ago it needed about $1900 in repairs, which included a rotted out exhaust system. That, by itself, wasn't the reason the 19 HR-V joined the family, but it was a contributing factor.

The only vehicle that ever succumbed to rust was an 86 Subaru. One of the rear seat belt mounting plates pulled right out of the wheel well. Luckily it happened when I tugged on the seat belt after installing a car seat and not the first time I hit the brakes hard. It didn't take much for me to pull it out. I'm sure the first panic stop would have sent my kid flying.

Not that one. ;-)

She was totaled and never even sold at auction. At first glance, it doesn't look that bad, but if you look closely you can see that the driver's door doesn't line up with the slider. The tree hit the top of the window shield right at the A pillar, bent the roof and pushed the door backwards. Then it slid down onto the hood. When they lifted the tree off, the top mount of the strut had punctured the hood. Lots of busted stuff under the hood and the van didn't sit level anymore.

If you need any indication of how heavy the tree was, look at the front tire. It's not flat, just squished. It came back to full height when the tree was lifted off.

The funniest part was that myself and three of my co-workers (CW) were standing at my 2nd floor office window watching a micro-burst blow through the parking lot. The sideways rain and blowing debris was so bad that we couldn't see the first row of cars just below my window.

As the air started to clear, and the back of the lot slowly came into view, the conversation went like this:

CW #1: Hey, it looks like a tree got blown down. CW #2: Yeah, I think it's laying on someone's car. CW #3: Hey, Derby, isn't that your van? Me: Oh sh!t... it sure is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's hard to compare them. I'm not saying that you couldn't build a long-lasting turbo engine. Just that pound for pound, the turbo engine probably ought to weigh more to be competitive, and I'm not sure that's the case for consumer-grade truck engines. Engines designed for

18-wheelers surely are built to completely different specifications. Surely, someone must have generated some data by now.
Reply to
Bill

It's really too soon to tell but the current generation of turbo engines were designed from the ground up to be turbo engines. I believe if you compare the turbo engines to non-turbo of the same displacement you'll find that they are heavier, but they're lighter than non-turbo engines of the same power output.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It would if the 18 wheelers had turbo gasoline engines.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW turbo diesels in 18 wheelers and those in pick up trucks are entirely different animals.

It is not unusual for an 18 wheeler engine to go 1,000,000 miles and to be rebuilt a time or two after that.

Reply to
Leon

My Ranger (model year 2000) made it to 160k (tires, brakes, batteries and one alternator) before a derecho-driven tree decided to crush the cab and bed. It was still running great. I loved that truck, base model, no power anything, manual transmission, no extended cab, no fancy radio, just a working truck.

The replacement colorado, meh.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On 11/29/2020 9:29 AM, Leon wrote: ...

That's at least as much to do with that a truck tractor is solid-enough to last as well and that 90% of those 1M are OTR.

The consumer pickemup otoh, isn't intended for such longevity by design--even if were, people simply get tired of personal vehicles for other reasons first.

The last Duramax I had had almost 500K when traded; it's still in use as I see it occasionally around town. I fully expect at least that with this one as well...but the rest of the truck was getting frayed enough and, like you, we decided wanted a better ride and the four doors, so gave up two in place of one for it.

BIL has the Ford in a utility service vehicle that I know has almost

750K on it and is still in excellent shape; we took it to NM a couple years ago...
Reply to
dpb

LOL

Reply to
Spalted Walt

The whole economics of 10-wheelers is different. They can't (rationally) be compared.

Reply to
krw

LOL Yeah, there is that.

No doubt that some of the pick up diesels will go and go. BUT the Ford pick up diesel that "had" such a great reputation.....well Ford just recently lost an enormous class action law suite over that engine.

And then there is the price of the option to get those diesel engines....

Reply to
Leon