Ping Leon - For Your Favorite Quilter

I saw this while vacationing in Oregon and thought of you. Actually, I thought of your wife. Please share this with her:

SWMBO and I saw that at the Crown Point Vista House which overlooks the Columbia River Gorge. The Columbia River marks the border between Washington and Oregon.

Wood Relate:

We also visited the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. We went inside to get out the 34°, blowing wet snow. This weekend marks the end of the ski season on Mt. Hood. 2 days before Memorial Day and the place was packed!

In another thread you said you were looking for a small project. How about this? It's in the rec room of the lodge. ;-)

The Timberline Lodge is fantastic. So much big wood!

DerbyDad03

The angled mortising of the posts into the ceiling beams of the lobby, as well as the lintel into the jacks, is a delight. Thanks for the pictures!

Reply to
Colin Campbell

Check out Google images for tons more pictures. The place is just amazing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Very Cool, Thank you for the link.

Large timber!

Several years ago a computer whiz guy developed something important to the computer industry. He sold the rights for millions. He ended up building a log cabin home on the Texas border of Lake Texoma. My nephew was a landscaper and was awarded the job of landscaping the property. The home was huge with very similar timbers as those in the links you provided. We got to look the home over during construction. I recall the front gate, 3 timbers, a post, a support and the actual horizontal beam that closed the entrance. It would have fit right in with a Flintstones cartoon. The horizontal beam was about 25' long and

30" in diameter.
Reply to
Leon

Neat, seeing a part of that history.

My initial thought was, you would think the placard would state the girl's name and age at the time she sewed the blanket.

As per, searching backwards from Alba Morgan, seems Edward had 12 children, 3 from a first marriage and 9 with Mary. Possibly more than one daughter worked on the blanket or it's not sure which daughter did the sewing, henc e no name on the placard. Only two of the daughters, Mary Shirley and Isa belle, were old enough, at the time, to have worked on the blanket. Sara, from Edward's first marriage, can be ruled out as she died in Noble, Indian a.

And big rocks. Wish this area had some rocks to work with. Having rocks shipped in is expensive.

Nice woodwork. Nice vacation, too.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny