Ping Leon

I'm supposing you reviewed/researched the Laguna LT18 3000 Series, before purchasing the HD16. Why did you choose the HD16, over the other saws you researched? It seems the 18 can perform the same as the 16, yet it's $1K less in "value".

"Value" may be the key word. Is there something about the HD16 that makes it more "valuable", than the 3000 Series 18, if applicable per your research?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I had a Craftsman 10" BS with 1/2 hp motor for many years. I tried to not use it. Way too much trouble to set up each time.

I opted to buy the Rikon 18" and found that set up was way too much for each use. After two weeks I felt that I just was not getting what I wanted. Many of the parts were crap cheap. I returned it with the dealer understanding that I might since I was ordering sight unseen. Not a problem.

I did a lot of research and wanted to buy my last BS. The Laguna LT16HD and the MiniMax MM16 were the two that I was looking at to buy. Both Italian and very well built. HQ for MiniMax 8 years ago was in Austin TX and close enough to Houston for me to go to the show room. I made an appointment to see the saw and on the day of my appointment they only had a cannibalized saw to show me. I was not impressed. Laguna got the nod.

I really don't think that the LT18 3000 was available then. At the time Laguna offered the Italian HD series and a less expensive series made in Bulgaria, IIRC. I wanted a saw that I could simply walk up to, tension the blade, and turn it on and start cutting. Tracking is a non issue on the one I bought and the Laguna guides are top notch. At the time it was delivered with the mobility kit and Resaw King blade and several sample blades for about $2600.

I'm not sure if there is a big difference in what I have and the 3000, I would call the Laguna guys and find out the difference. I bought way more than I needed but I don't have to fiddle with it every time I use it.

Reply to
Leon

I just got an e-mail from Laguna, they have some demo band saws on sale...

Leon

Thanks Leon. Good timing! That 20" Davis & Wells I have, someone has offered me $825 for it, so I thought to sell it and spend towards a new saw, for resawing.

On a different note: Yesterday, a slab was poured around 3 sides of the farm's shop/camp, for parking and will have a screened-in porch area. The additional roofing and walls install is scheduled for Nov. 15th.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny