Performax thickness sander attachment for RAS?

Just ran across this at Amazon:

anybody here ever used one of these? I kinda wonder about the accuracy, particularly the rigidity of the setup. The price is sure attractive, though, compared to a grand for a dedicated sander that size... Comments, anyone?

Doug Miller

I have been keeping an eye on that thing too. I have a RAS, but was thinking maybe I could build or buy something in surplus that will adjust the height instead of messing around with the RAS. I think the dedicated sander is way over priced for what it is and I refuse to buy one. But, I have had this thing in and out of my Amazon shopping cart many times. Someday I will get it. Right now I have a new lathe in the crate to deal with!

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie Gossett

Doug,

If you are still looking for that Performax thickness sander attachment for RAS, it's now your chance, currently biding $30 at Ebay. I would have bid for it, if I had missed a drum sander similar to Performax 16/32 last week.

Good luck, hope you win it. :-)

Just ran across this at Amazon:

Reply to
WD

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll pass on this one, though: it doesn't seem to have the drive rollers, it's not real clear from the photograph just how much of the guard is included, and there doesn't seem to be a dust port.

Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)

Doug Miller

I have the same model, inherited from my father-in-law after he passed. By the drive rollers, do you mean the conveyor belt that the stock rides on? If so, I have that, but it was definitely an aftermarket item that you might still be able to order from Performax. I definitely wouldn't use a sander without it. Or, by rollers, do you mean the small metal rollers that ride above the stock, on either side of the drum? If so, the early models didn't have them, but mine works just fine without them. As for a dust port, it also didn't have one originally, but my father-in-law cut one into the plastic shroud, and it works fine. I would absolutlely not use a drum sander without a dust collector hookup.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

Doug, I am still monitoring this sander in Ebay and ending soon. It seems the other bidder was fishing to top the "price" after many bids. Like to guess the final price?

By the way where can I buy sanding rolls for drum sander, beside Amazon?

(If you like I could write a review here, sometimes next week after I have tested this no name drum sander?)

Reply to
WD

Without the conveyor feed I change my mind. Some users say you can do without it and I am not sure I could feed it at a constant pace without creating ripple marks. I managed to find a site where I could buy new surplus (AC and DC) geared motor and purchase the feed tension rollers from Amazon. To my disappointment, they discontinued it.

By the way where did you buy your feed rolls?

Reply to
WD

The bidding for this item finally ended. At the final minute a relative new bidder Woodworker94536 bid for $132.49 and got it.

I still think it is a food bargain, if I am not willing to pay to pay more than $300 plus for the Performax.

WD

I don't have the feed rolls. Just the drum above, and the conveyor below. I use it quite a bit, and don't miss the rolls at all.

If anyone knows of a good source for inexpensive sanding rolls, I'd appreciate it. The Performax are very pricey, and I used to get them cheap at Woodworker's Warehouse, but can't remember the manufacturer.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

Right, that's what I meant.

Hmmm. You can't tell that too easily from Amazon's page...

Neither would I.

Same here. I have no choice, actually, since my shop is in the basement.

Doug Miller