Formula For Water Pressure

My neighbor wants to estimate the pressure on his 2nd floor based upon a reading of pressure on the 1st of his house. He says there's a formula. Anyone know?

Reply to
John Gregory

In very round numbers, the (static) pressure goes down 1/2 PSI per foot of elevation. That's easy to remember.

The more exact number is .433 PSI per foot.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I think John was asking about static pressure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

For some reason I find 2.31 ft/psi easier to remember and either multiply or divide by that. Either way, from waist high on 1st floor to waist high on 2nd floor is only about 3 or 4 psi static pressure difference (unless the neighbor has very tall ceilings).

If 2nd floor flowing pressure seems much lower, it could be a restriction like debris in a faucet aerator or mineral deposits (especially in galvanized piping).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Or a scuba diver would say, 34 ft/atm.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Every foot of elevation, you lose .434 PSI.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah, gee, I misinformed the poor fellow. Sorry out there!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, gentlemen.... I now know everything I ever wanted to know about the difference in static water pressure as a function of height in a domestic residence.

I COULD measure it a mic, mark it with a chalk... but we're just gettin' set ta' cut it with an ax so... 1/2 #psi/foot of elevation will surely suffice.

By the way. I'm curious that Irish Math, Joe; "26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math". I'll bite. What's the riddle?

Reply to
John Gregory

26 Counties of the Republic (The South) and 6 Counties of the North equal one whole country, people and island as it was before the English Dia's Muire duit

Joseph E. Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I believe that only works when the system is open to atmospheric pressure.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Actually, the easier way is to not estimate. Install a pressure gage in the system on the 2nd floor and read it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Nope. Works just fine either way... Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

To clarify that: The RELATIVE pressure goes up by about 1/2 psi per foot, reguardless of whether the system is opened or closed. Since the OP wanted to calculated pressure on one floor, by reading a guage on another, this is sufficient. What depends on an open system is figuring the ABSOLUTE pressure, which in an open system near sea-level will be 1/2 psi / foot, plus atmospheric pressure at the top of the water column.

Reply to
default

.433 pound per foot

Reply to
John D

As a general rule (if you don't need to be exact) you can assume a 5psi loss per floor above ground level, or .5 psi per foot. This is the way fire engineers and fire protection system installers generally figure pressure loss due to elevation.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

This has been rattling around for quite a while. The static loss (no water flowing) is easily found. A cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 lbs. A square foot is 144 sq. inches. The pressure from 1 foot of water is

62.4 lbs divided by 144 sq. inches or 0.433 lbs/sq inch. Ten feet of elevation looses you 4.33 lbs/sq in of pressure.

The real issue though is how much is lost due to "friction" or drag as water moves through pipes and around corners and bends in the plumbing. One needs to know the diameter of the pipe, how many bends and the extent of those bends (30 degree, 45 degreee, or 90 degree,) the length of the straight bends, and the flow rate. Once all of that is known you can calculate the pressure at the outlet end.

RB

TexasFireGuy wrote:

Reply to
RB

But aside from "The White House" could diameter of pipe, bends, length of straight runs possibly be a significant factor in a single family residence when merely attempting to calculate the drop in pressure at the 2nd floor of a two story house?

Reply to
John Gregory

Yes. It made enough of a difference when my home was being designed that both my architect and I felt that 1" copper was needed to avoid demand related pressure drops.

RB

John Gregory wrote:

Reply to
RB