They changed the formula for Brasso!

Apparenly around 2009. I bought a new bottle (plastic now vs. the older metal), and am truly dissapointed because IT NO LONGER WORKS.
The formula is water-based with ammonia, vs. the old petroleum-based formula. The new stuff appears to have the micro silica granules because there did appear to be major sedimentation in the bottle. It is no longer listed as an ingredient, probably because it is not toxic.
I'm not sure if they changed the granule size, but the new product does NOT immediately produce black copper oxide the same way as the old formula.
Of course, my goal here is not simply to whine. Altough whining is a component of the set of my reasons for being here, I would also like to ask if anyone knows if a suitable substitute in available. Is it also possible to buy microcrystalline silica (or carborundum, etc.)? I have Varsol, and I know how to use it.

You'll have to experiment now. The old days, when you knew what worked and could get it, are gone.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:06:45 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

Since posting previously, I have been thinking about the non-toxic insecticide diatomaceous earth, which is mostly silica.
Toothepaste also seems to be a likely candidate. I'll followup after experimenting.

Brasso was never the best anyway. The Navy provided it for polishing brass/copper, but there was something called Glow which worked much better. It was a paste that came in a tube. But you had to buy it. That was 50 years ago. You might try a headlight lens restorer. I used Blue Magic with success on my lenses, and it might work on brass/copper. But toothpaste might work too.

I believe Tarn-X has a brass formula now.
Greg

Could that be because of the over regulation obama has thrust upon us?
replying to Gordon Shumway, Alf Sucks wrote: Yeah, let's destroy the planet quickly and when anyone tries to stop it, call it "over regulation." Obama barely changed anything.
On 12/16/2016 02:17 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

When I was in the Army we used Brasso all the time and I was never particularly impressed with it.
Maybe the new formula was made to make our soldiers use even more muscle power to get their brass shiny.
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 11:19:27 AM UTC-8, philo wrote:

I have used picante hot sauce on copper and brass with good results.

I never thought it did!
I was in the USAF ('66-'70) and was in the fire dept. Talk about brass!
When I was in USAF basic, we did not have Brasso. So, our TI (DI) told us to staal a couple bottles of Lousiana Hot Sauce from the mess hall and we used that to polish the brass latrine fixtures in our ancient WWII barracks.
A yr later, when I was actually assigned to a fire dept (Wheelus AFB, Libya N, Africa), I could finally afford some real Brasso, so bought a can. The crap didn't work any better than the hot sauce. I tossed the Brasso and never bought any, ever again. No kidding.
I think what actually polishes the brass is plain ol' elbow grease. Rub hard enough and I think even water will polish brass. ;)
nb
On 12/17/2016 02:43 PM, notbob wrote:

That's the impression I got too
replying to Mike Duffy, Charles Howell wrote: I have had the same experience. The new brasso in the plastic bottle does not work at all on brass. It produces a dull finish, not the shiny sparkly finish the old brasso produced. I am so pissed i can't even tell you. I wonder what the army guys have to say about it.
replying to Charles Howell, thegalaxybeing wrote: I noticed the change and Brasso is a poor imitation of what it used to be, Besides metal polish, it used to be great for making plastic watch crystals, plastic coin holders, some sunglasses sparkle like brand new. now it puts hundreds of tiny visible scratches on the surface. in others words, the the abrasive ingredient is also different. Not even close. Thet might as well quit making Brasso altogether. True Brasso NO LONGER EXISTS!
replying to Charles Howell, thegalaxybeing wrote: I noticed the change and Brasso is a poor imitation of what it used to be, Besides metal polish, it used to be great for making plastic watch crystals, plastic coin holders, some sunglasses sparkle like brand new. now it puts hundreds of tiny visible scratches on the surface. in others words, the the abrasive ingredient is also different. Not even close. Thet might as well quit making Brasso altogether. True Brasso NO LONGER EXISTS!
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:44:02 GMT, thegalaxybeing wrote:

Agree. As a replacement, I mix diatometous earth with machine oil.

What is "machine oil"?
--
croy

On 03/19/2018 12:54 PM, croy wrote:

Sometimes I hear old people saying just 'machine' for a sewing machine.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 10:54:37 -0700, croy wrote:

Petroleum-based, but without additives for use in internal-combustion engines. (i.e. Tradename "3-in-one")
In this case, probably engine additives won't make any difference. You could also use mineral oil. Add petroleum jelly or varsol to adjust viscosity.
Diatometous earth is sold as non-toxic contact insecticide. The granules are just the right size to jam exoskeleton joints.

I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea of "non-toxic insecticide". It sounds very ineffective to me.
--
croy

Last time (about 8 years ago) I bought some "Brasso", I just got some stuff on Ebay called "metal polishing number 5", which works just the same.
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Markski - Ski Mix Volume 51"