OT: Why General Motors is doomed

The dam may be there but the lake is dissapearing. They have drawn lake powell down over 100 feet below normal to keep water flowing to mead and other users down stream. If the global warming folks are right there may not be enough water

Reply to
gfretwell

I know the definition of battery. More than 1. A battery of guns, a car battery is typically composed of 6, 2.2 volt cells.

But with the common terminology the electric and hybrid cars are like to have more than 1 battery.

Reply to
Leon

Have you seen the new "Reclaim your manhood" commercial for the H-3. I didn't think anyone would stoop that low. I've often said the H-2 owners must have the smallest weenies of all men.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The dealer I worked for at various times owned Oldsmobile, Honda, GMC, Buick, Mazda, and Isuzu.

I primarily was over Oldsmobile, Honda, and Isuzu. We had the Olds franchise since 1965, Honda from the start with the 600 sedans in the early

70's and added the Buick GMC, and Mazda in th eearly 80's. Isuzu came in 1986. I really do not recall a real problem with the Honda compared to Oldsmobile. We typically serviced 400 to 500 Oldsmobiles per week during the summer and 80% were owned by oil companies and banks in the Houston area.
Reply to
Leon

How about if the weather is cyclical people are right? IIRC, in the

1930's there was a pretty significant lack of rain and water in the western states (my grandparents were part of the dust bowl in Eastern Colorado). Seems that nobody has [yet] blamed the dust bowl on global warming, simply a drought weather cycle. +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

World of difference between a taxi putting 200k miles in what, a couple of years, vs. real-world driving of 12 - 15 k miles per year. Also a world of different environment between Vancouver, BC and those of us in the south and southwest. Here, 60 month car batteries last 24 months, 48 month car batteries last 24 months, i.e. the hot, dry climate kills batteries. The batteries are a different technology you say? That may be, but heat still kills batteries with that technology as well, maybe not quite as fast. I'm going to wait to see what peoples' experience is before I become a beta tester.

... snip

Mark & Juanita

Global warming is REAL. It has been happening for thousands of years 12 months. It was commonly known as Summer before the "End of the World" types need to call it something else.

Reply to
Leon

People bought them because they were a fad, not because

Where do you live??? IN Houston the SUV is alive and well and had been since long before they were called SUV's, I'll admit that sales are slowing but that is because of the gas prices in the last year.

Reply to
Leon

Oil is here, will stay a major source of power for several

A couple of months ago a spokesman for Exxon was on a local talk show and indicated that with only todays technology that we have only used 20% of the worlds oil supply. Yesterday the news on NBC indicated that Shale Oil in Colorado can out produce Saudia Arabia and Iran combined and with oil selling for $70 per barrel it would be just as economical to remove the oil from the shale.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know about your world, but in my world, people buy a car that will fill *all* of their needs, they don't have a specific car for each specific task. So, when they need a vehicle with hauling capacity for family trips, weekend family activities, and commuting, they pick a car for which the features intersect with all of their driving requirements. Just because *you* see one driver in an SUV commuting to work on weekdays doesn't mean that the same vehicle isn't carrying the family and luggage out of state next week, or being used to haul a soccer team and equipment to the field this weekend.

That's the nice thing about our society, people can choose the solutions that work for *them*.

So, is that fact, opinion, feeling, or belief?

Your world must look a lot different than mine. It's the little, underpowered cars that are having trouble getting onto the highway while those with sufficient power are merging into traffic with ease.

Now, in my world, I have always wondered why cadillacs are so highly powered; I've never seen one being driven faster than 45 MPH anywhere. :-)

... and studies and surveys can be designed to return the answers that the person conducting the study wishes to see.

Not sure that says anything other than that people did not want to appear to come across to an "authority" figure looking like they weren't doing everything possible to save energy when that was the politically correct thing to do. Also depends on who was being surveyed, etc. If you are trying to say the 75% of all car owners in the US would have answered that way, that's a stretch to say the least.

Mark & Juanita

Want to see the SUV (AKA: Gussied Up Pick'em Up Truck) go away, bring on $10/gallon gasoline.

As always, follow the money.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Leon" wrote in news:L%Cvg.10419$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

There was a study hanging around in the early 80's that showed that the gas company in Utah could economically produce natural gas from the Utah oil shale, vs $25 bbl oil. The chose not to, figuring that they would end up having to sell it at regulated gas prices. The risk factors were too large, and they had most of the natural gas they expected to need from Wyoming...

There are always alternatives. Some of them take more courage and planning, but there are alternatives.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:_uCvg.132822$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

And the one with the mom, who wimps out, and then buys one herself? ;-)

Not going THERE!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

start seeing tools made out of metal again instead of plastic. Of course, it will be so shoddily put together metal that future woodworkers will look back longingly to the days when tools were made from quality plastic.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

The conditions then were closer to normal. What we've had in the years since has been unusually wet compared to historical norms for the area. People seem to think that the recent weather is normal and the dust bowl was an aberration.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Why satisfy _all_ of your need when most of your needs can be satisfied with something less wasteful and an occasional rental will satisfy the rest?

I know grandparents that buy a huge SUV 'cause the grandkids visit for a week once a year.

The fact is that people buy to meet their _perceived_ needs, not their real needs.

Sounds like you're getting paranoid.

If you want to see what Americans are really like, see "Talking To Americans". The average American has a strongly held opinion on everything, including things they know nothing about. It's part of the culture of confidence and optimism. That's why so many Americans can ignore the facts and form opinions that have nothing to do with reality.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

If I can find my notes from university over 30 years ago, I'll dig them out. Don't hold your breath.

If you're wasting resources that I think are rightly to be available to my descendants, I feel I have a legitimate reason to interfere. The implicit future value of oil is $0.00 according to the wasteful lifestyles of current consumers. Some of us know that that valuation is wrong.

What a load of BS. I have not said to stop using oil. I have been pointing out that you don't have to _waste_ so much oil. The technologies available today can significantly reduce consumption. If you want to live in the past with obsolete technologies, that's your problem. Some of us would like to see technology used to improve things. Hybrid technology is a good stopgap measure for the next several decades until some more advanced technologies are available. E.g. if the dream of clean fusion reactor power ever stops being fifty years in the future, then all-electric vehicles may be a good option.

You seem to think that waste=freedom. Well, waste=waste and with the US using far more energy than it can produce domestically, freedom is threatened by being dependent on foreign resources. How many of your children are you prepared to send to die in foreign wars to maintain a wasteful lifestyle?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Go look it up yourself. You might learn something useful. There are plenty of resources on the web that explain how these technologies work.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

My wife has a business need for a truck and we went shopping last weekend looking for a "fire sale deal". They are not to be had. These guys are only knocking a grand or two off the sticker on a $25,000 pickup truck. I think the fad is alive and well.

Reply to
gfretwell

And of course you think that you are an exception.

Reply to
J. Clarke