I don't believeeee it!

Did a job for a regular customer this morning, "while you are here, could you" look at our washing machine?

'Every time we use it there is a terrible smell.'

Looked under the sink.

No trap. Nothing. Zilch. Sink & washing machine pipework connected directly to drain.

Kitchen fitted by B&Q 3 months ago.

The mind boggles.

Reply to
David Lang

That is ridiculous. I do hope he got a photo and will be visiting said store and making a strong point.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

According to their web sit B&Q don't employ kitchen fitters. They contract in local independent traders approved by the Which? trusted traders scheme.

Under B&Q homefit.

Which? Trusted Traders is an endorsement scheme that recognises reputable and trustworthy traders who have successfully passed an assessment process. Customers can enjoy peace of mind, knowing that the traders have been rigorously evaluated by Which?, the Consumer Champion.

So although the customer should go back to B&Q the brickbats ought to be aimed at a suspect local independent trader.

Reply to
Chris B

Approved by "Which?", remember. He should remember to tell them about this, so that they can remove him from their list.

Reply to
Davey

So what approval process do Which? use? Does it really depend entirely on unhappy customers reporting? If they are that bad, they should never have been approved. However many of these schemes do rely on post-approval complaints rather than good pre-approval investigation.

Reply to
polygonum

No idea. Probably whoever pays and sounds good.

Agreed.

No idea. But it sounds very unprofessional if that's how they work.

Reply to
Davey

If the original bill for fitting was paid to B&Q then they're responsible.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Did they do any electrical or gas work?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Just involve Trading Standards while you're complaining to B&Q.

Reply to
Davey

Getting banned from doing B&Q work was one of my finest moments.

Reply to
ARW

During the 80's while trading as a roof builder, I heard so much about the 'Federation of Master Builders'. The noise that came from other traders was that their customers gained reassurance upon seeing the evidence of membership, in ways of literature and signage.

I think I am right in saying the FMB also promised other assurances to the customer of the builder? My experience was; my customers had never heard of FMB but, it did give weight to the decision they made.

FMB was always too pricey for me considering that during that period I was busy. However, I liked the concept of assurance for the customer should the builder let them down, become injured, etc.

So, what does it take to become part of such a reputable organisation(not FMB)? For me, very little other than a hefty £150 for a few stickers and permission to print their signage on my literature. Yes, they did come to the work site but, from within a car parked 50/70 yards at the end of the street such that the work could hardly be seen.

When I asked the guy to get out and come and look the ground floor roof over, he refused saying he can see it was good from where he was and, has a workload to get through. Actually, the very first words as I approached the car was, 'Have you got the check on you', as he passed the envelope of stickers out the driver's window. There was no reason whatsoever for him to have parked at the end of the street. My feeling is, he wasn't interested in the condition of the work at all. In fact, I feel he was avoiding it.

If he did have to present facts to his employer, then he must have fabricated them.

Word of mouth is the best method of finding a good worker. Which is why, I would ask each customer to join a list of previous customers that would be willing to talk to any potential customer. The list went out with my estimates.

How did I feel after the transaction? Let down, disappointed. I was part of a recommended workforce who, I now know, has not had their work inspected.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12