Smelly drain water

If I stand in the kitchen looking at the wall, we have the dishwasher in the right corner. The drain pipe slopes down to far left corner and joins the drop from upstairs then on outside. In the middle of the run, the kitchen sink drain (one of those U traps with a connection on the side for the washing machine drain hose) tees into it.

For a couple of weeks now we've had the musty smell of drains in the kitchen that started off very slight and has got progressively worse, but after emptying out the under-sink cupboard there was no sign of any leaks anywhere and everything, both the cupboard itself and everything in it, was dry.

Last night though, I actually heard a trickle of water. Seems that the downstream side of the sink tee-in has gradually been coming loose and has finally come off.

Pipework has now been sorted but we now have a puddle of stagnant, dirty, smelly drain water under the sink unit. I'm assuming that this will dry up in time (concrete floor) but what can I do to get rid of the smell, both now while the water is still there and after it's dried if it's still smelly then?

I really, REALLY do NOT want to have to take out the unit for this, it'd be a major job and I can't bear to think of doing it to tackle a bit of dirty water.

TIA

Reply to
Steve

Fuller's earth cat litter.

Reply to
Paul Herber

+1

But the kick boards at the bottom of the units may be removable in some way.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Excellent, thanks very much Paul

Reply to
Steve

Aha, brilliant, thank you sir!

Reply to
Steve

dont bother. Just put up with it. It will go pretty quickly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and get in there with the wet and dry vac: I have a small nozzle which can be used at a very shallow angle.

Rinse with diluted bleach for the smell, dry remaining puddles with vac

Reply to
Newshound

bleach. You'll need to reapply it later. Go easy with it or it'll just stink of bleach!

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks folks