Floor tiling - lower back let me down

I may have to get a tiler in to lay my calibrated slate. My lower back does= not seem to be sorting itself out after a few weeks. I started again on Sa= turday and though I'd take it easy so I laid 1 (yes "one") tile (600 x 400)= . That seems to have got me back where I started.

To a DIYer this is a disaster (!)

I wonder how much I'd have to pay for 20m^2 layed ? (I've got tiles + adhes= ive but no sealer or grout. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , sm_jamieson writes

When you find out, let me know as I have a similar job to do:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Full sympathies. It took me a week to lay 16 vinyl tiles a couple of weeks ago. I could only manage two before I could no longer get my legs to work.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

My records indicate I paid £624 3 years ago for a 21m2 area plus another area *about* 10m2

That was labour, adhesive, grout and sealant.

I already bought the tiles (a one ton lot of slate, 300x300mm at a good discount) - and I gave the tiler a prefect subfloor to lay to.

It took him IIRC about 4 days, maybe 3.5. Tiling was 2-2.5, grouting was one day and I think the other half was 2nd sealing (they seal after laying before grouting in order to make wash-off easier).

So you are probably looking at arounf 400 +/-

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

More lack of experience/skill. I have hung plenty of 4" wall tiles but balk at the idea of 12" floor jobs.

After 50 years of farm labouring, my back is no better than most:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

adhesive but no sealer or grout.

Depends on where you live ? anywhere near central scotland.

Reply to
ss

adhesive but no sealer or grout.

More like central England ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

My floor's not "perfect" (a few lumps and bumps) but not sure that matters = for slate, since usually the thickness will vary a bit so you are laying to= a level anyway, not just following the floor.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

adhesive but no sealer or grout.