name of flooring?

Just noticed my back door has been leaking and the floor has started to rot. I'm looking to get the same type of floor board but don't know its name. The boards (8x4 feet) just butt together (no tongue and groove) and looks like its thousands of bits of wood all squashed together? Its not chipboard, and they have been down for around 20 odd years (in the extension).

Incidentally would chipboard be better to use now if I can get some the same depth?

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Probably Sterling Board

OG

Yes, modern chipboard flooring should be a pale green colour and is moisture resistant.

Reply to
The Wanderer

per se, other than temporary boarding-up windows etc?

Not that this means it hasn't been used for the OP's floor, but it doesn't sound a good reason to go out and buy more of the same. Flooring-grade chipboard sounds a better bet to me, as somebody else said.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Also know as Oriented Strand Board (OSB)

Dave Liquorice

OSB?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can use any of the sheet timber products as flooring, though some have better resistance to certain problems than others.

It sounds like OSB, but if you take a trip to wickes etc you'll see them all, and should spot what you've got.

The one product I'd avoid is 8x4 chipoard, this stuff is not water resistant, and will die very quiclly if it gets wet. Green flooring chip is more resilient, but wont fit without trimming. Chip is cheapest, but if the floor's visible I'd go with more of whatever you've got. OSB is a bit overspecified and thus overpriced for flooring, but for one sheet its no big deal.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can use any of the sheet timber products as flooring, though some have better resistance to certain problems than others.

It sounds like OSB, but if you take a trip to wickes etc you'll see them all, and should spot what you've got.

The one product I'd avoid is 8x4 chipoard, this stuff is not water resistant, and will die very quiclly if it gets wet. Green flooring chip is more resilient, but wont fit without trimming. Chip is cheapest, but if the floor's visible I'd go with more of whatever you've got. OSB is a bit overspecified and thus overpriced for flooring, but for one sheet its no big deal.

Thanks all.

Yes it looks like OSB. I'm only replacing one board so will just change like for like. The same stuff has been fitted in my kitchen (laid around 20 years ago) and a lot of the boards have started to lift at the edges. I suspect the boards have swollen slightly. These will be replaced with a better alternative.

Back to the OSB board I'm about to buy and lay in the bathroom, is there a good way to seal it first?

Cheers

Reply to
Steven Campbell