believe I have good installer -- but which AC unit -- Trane vs Amana

I've tried to read prev. posts..

I believe I have a good installer. They offer Trane and Amana. They push Trane (prolly good discounts from Trane).

A 3 ton, 11 SEER Trane (XR11) is $2880 installed A 3 ton, 11 SEER Amana (Prestige) is $2740 installed

I have a Coleman EVCON furnace (in a frame home.. I've heard that this is unusual).

Reply to
coloradotrout

Not really. A Coleman is nothing more than a relabeled York.

Reply to
HeatMan

Nope...Markup is higher on the Trane stuff...much higher...

Thats complete? Indoor and outdoor unit, or just outdoor and matching coil inside?

Same question.

If no one is adding a matching coill to the furnace inside and its not a complete price, go shopping again. You are wasting your money then....and they are taking it.

Nope...not at all. Coleman is a rebadged York unit, better than the Amana by a long shot..at least the new stuff, and Trane, keep in mind, has a hell of a marketing program. They all work fine, WHEN installed correctly.

BTW, Most of your York dealers, like me, will offer Coleman as an option when pricing, simply because they cost US a bit less, currently. Now..depending on the age of your existing furnace, it MIGHT NOT be a York rebadge. But, we put them in all the time, and you cant tell a Coleman from a York. The only difference is the color of the decal. Ones red, ones blue.

Reply to
CBHvac

I would probably lean toward the Amana or some other make. Get everything checked out before you buy anything. It could call for less tonnage. -D

Reply to
D-

Great feedback. Thank you.

Those prices are for adding AC to my existing furnace (the Coleman). I have no AC now, so I believe it would be both the outside compressor unit and the indoor coil, all the electrical, etc, and a bypass, drainless humidifier (in CO). That price is the finished job.. all parts, all labor -- we have AC when it's done!

The house was built in 1992. I'm hoping I have the rebadged York. Some folks kinda hint that this furnace is a cheapo, especially for our neighborhood (350K & up).

Info on furnace: Coleman EVCON DES 80 mod: 2880F766 (or that could be an "E" instead of an "F") sn: 089143534

95K BTU/hr mfg EVCON, Wichita, KS

What might match best with this furnance then? the Amana or Trane -- or do I find a diff. installer to get a better matching system.. or does the furnance and AC really not matter what brands.. just as long as they are installed well integrated? Because at some time I'll need to replace the furnace and don't want to be stuck with an AC unit then that also has be re replaced.

I'm prolly gonna tear out my bsmt walls.. and add some more return air ducting later. Previous owner kinda took some shortcuts.

Reply to
coloradotrout

Ok...if you have no ac now, its for the coil indoors too...sheesh..ya had me worried for a sec...LOL

Everyone that has no clue hints that TODAYS Coleman is cheap...LOL...its not. and just goes to show how ignorant some are, when talking about name brands other than Goodman.

You sure about those numbers? It LOOKS to be the same as a Diamond 80, and York didnt buy Evcon till about 92...its not showing in my listings however.. There should be a could of letters in front of the model number..

Ahh...good question. The one that has a evap coil matched to the airflow and is matched to the outdoor unit. It could be a Trane, an Amana a York, etc...

Given the two choices you have, I would go Trane. I looked into Amana a while back, thought about a dealership, and figured it was nothing but a Goodman in disguise...damn close.

Reply to
CBHvac

I rechecked the SN.. no letters.

All that info was on one label on the upper, right side wall (inside the unit). The outside just says Colemand EVON D.E.S 80

The home was built >

Reply to
coloradotrout