Carrier, Lennox vs. Trane

Hi, I am trying to have an air conditioner for the whole house installed. So far I took 3 quotes from 3 reputable local outfits for the job. Their quotes are almost identical except using different brand units. My need is 3 and half ton, 15 SEER, low noise unit(need to run the cooling for less than 3 months a year). Is there a prefered brand among this 3 they recommend? Before my income tax refund money strays off, I need a quick decision. Any advice/recommendations appreciated. TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony -- I'm not aware of any big differences between the three, and your decision may depend upon other factors, e.g., warranty, distance of the dealer from your location (for future service calls), cost of a service call or yearly inspection, etc. Perhaps you can work this to your benefit -- try to negotiate in extra services, longer warranty or lower price. Especially in situations like this I have often been able to get a company to renegotiate at a lower price or throw in some extra goodies (such as a programmable thermostat, electronic air cleaner, etc.) Regards --

Reply to
JimR

Check if the supplied units have a distribution house in the area? Tom

Reply to
tom

Check out York, a very trusted brand for years.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Sounds like collusion. How much was it? What locale?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hi, I am in Calgary, Alberta. Quoted prices are ~4 grand CAD(~3.5 USD). I have programmable Honeywell Vision 8000 'stat, EAC, humidifier all installed already. Lately summer is getting hotter which calls for some in cooling the house in the afternoons.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Were I you, I would stay away from Lennox.

Lennox tends to "be different for the sake of being different."

This may have changed but my 12 yo (or so) Lennox heat pump had a reverse orientation of the change over valve with the result that when the Lennox HP was replaced I needed a new thermostat.

The Lennox blower motor was 824 rpm, 240 volts, 3 speed. The ONLY place that "carried" this motor was Lennox and Lennox never did supply my HVAC man with a replacement (we "worked" around and, essentially, repaired the old motor).

There are quite a few brands out there. Often a "cheap" brand and an "expensive" brand use many/most of the came components "under the skin."

Again, were I you, I would go for a small independent repair person who will likely give you a quote using whichever machine is temporarily cheapest. The quality of the installation and the length of the guarantee are more important that the maker of the box sitting in your backyard.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Or forget service calls and buy 8 $80 5K Btu/h 10 SEER window ACs with motion detectors with 1/2 hour delays, for an effective 20-SEER system. If one breaks (and the others keep working), return it in warranty or throw it away and buy another :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

anyone who had a lennox pulse furnace will never ever buy another thing with the lennox name on it.

Reply to
hallerb

You might consider Rheem as well. I have received excellent service from my units.

Reply to
Ken

I thought Trane had the same problem. The fellow I worked for installed a lot of Rheem, and I was impressed with them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you want quiet, York is the brand you want.

Reply to
Steve Barker

My York has been many good things, but quiet is not one of them.

Reply to
clifto