OT - Speader Gears

I have a tow behind broadcast spreader that I'm trying to get working again. There's three parts to the assembly that's fouled up, the gear to the spreader plate, an axle-driven gear wheel that turns the gear to the spreader plate, and the cover.

The gear wheel assembly should move freely in relation to the cover, but does not. My question is this: Is the gear wheel likely to use a press fit or a screw fit to tie the gear wheel to the cover?

This is the spreader in question.

Puckdropper

On 06 Dec 2008 23:59:45 GMT, Puckdropper cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

What do you mean by the gear wheel? The axle driven gear should be independent of the cover plate. Most likely, you've got it crudded up from not cleaning it out after spreading fertilizer or salt (in the winter).

You're in the best position of any of us to determine how the cover attaches, to cover the gear. You can actually look at it. We can't. From what little bit can be seen in the picture, I would guess that the cover plate either unscrews from the body of the shroud, or perhaps pries off.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike Marlow wrote in news:9wj44gu1m3pv.apjqgvelmfsm$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Ah yes, shroud. That's the word I was looking for in the second paragraph. Sorry for the confusion.

The gear wheel is a ring on the inside of the rotation assembly that turns a gear to turn the spreader plate. As the axle turns, the gear wheel turns. Connected to the gear wheel is a plastic shaft that goes through the shroud to tie to the axle. On the other side, the cover has a bearing that the axle continues on to. It's the part between the gear wheel and shroud that is giving me trouble.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper