Kobalt 10pc pliers and wrench set at Lowes, $39.99

Saw this this weekend:

good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber handles" might break off, but they appeared pretty robust.

Go for it, or go to Sears (instead)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber handles"

Reply to
Bill

> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber handles"

In case you are interested in this stuff, I found the following post by Claude Suddreth at yotatech.com --Bill

Hi all,

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there in the hand tool world about who makes who and the relationships between various tool companies. I just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents, and set the record straight a bit. I hope that by understanding the real relationships between various tool brands, that it will be easier to compare tool brands on a more apples to apples basis, and to understand why certain brands might seem rather similar.

There are really 3 major players out there in the USA tool market right now. I won't try to go through every brand made by each as they might make and market tools under a multitude of names. I will try to touch on the major brands made by each, which I see in this discussion. I will also mention 3 or 4 smaller players that are worth consideration also.

MAJOR MANUFACTURERS

1) STANLEY a) MAC Tools (Top End) b) Proto Tools (High Quality Industrial) c) Black Hawk (High Quality but mostly made in Taiwan) d) Husky (Home Depot store brand) e) Stanley (Wal-Mart and Discounters)

2) DANAHER a) Matco Tools (Top End) b) Armstrong Tools (High Quality Industrial) c) Silver Eagle (High Quality but mostly made in Taiwan) d) Grey Pneumatic (Industrial quality but mostly made in Taiwan) e) Kobalt (Lowes Store Brand) f) Craftsman (Sears Store Brand) g) NAPA (Napa Store Brand) h) Allen i) Gear Wrench j) K-D Tools

3) Snap-On a) Snap-On Tools (Top End) b) JH Williams Tools (High Quality Industrial) c) Blue Point (High Quality but mostly made in Taiwan) d) Branded hand tools for New Holland and others - mostly Taiwan e) Bahco f) Sioux Tools g) ATI Tools

MINOR PLAYERS BUT STILL LARGE

4) S-K (once part of Facom - now independent. Starting to see S-K tool trucks competing with Snap-On / Mac / Matco / Cornwell)

5) Cornwell (Image similar to Mac / Matco / Snap-on. Claims quality of comparable levels - however your mileage may vary)

6) Wright tools. (Can compete easily at the Matco / Mac / Proto / Armstrong levels of quality)

7) Lisle tools (much smaller - but many almost unique tools)

EUROPEAN (just for good measure - major players)

1) Stahlwille - The Snap-on of Europe. Best of the best - king of the hill.

2) Facom - Literally a truck brand there like Matco / Mac / Snap-on here.

3) Hazet - Very nice in most cases

4) Gedore - Quality industrial grade

I have not touched on specialty makers such as pliers (Vise-Grip / Channel-Lock USA - or Knipex in Europe - or similar such companies)

Now all this being said.....

I think it is now possible to understand why for example Craftsman and Kobalt are often of similar designs and similar quality. They are both store branded tools made by Danaher - and often in the same manufacturing facilities on the same production lines and by the same people. There might be slight differences in fit and finish or individual features of course. Or look at the new Craftsman Professional brand wrenches. You can sit them beside a full out Matco and they will compare quite well. Most of the Craftsman Professional line can be compared to either Matco or Armstrong products. Can you guess why? Look up on the internet - and you will see Danaher is selling craftsman professional tools to Industrial customers.

So the bottom line is this. Know WHO actually MAKES your tools. Find out WHERE they are made if possible - which manufacturing plant. You will often find more similarities than difference between brands that are marketed against each other. Now I am not saying that - say - Kobalt - is of the same quality as a Matco. They are not. They use different grades of steel - different castings - and obviously the Matco is made to a much higher level of overall fit, finish and quality. Just like GM has a Cadillac - and a Chevrolet - so Danaher has a Matco - and a Kobalt. Thats just good business. But just like a comparison between say a Pontiac and an Oldsmobile used to be rather difficult - a comparison between a Kobalt / Craftsman / Napa might have the same difficulties. The models are going to look very similar - and have very similar features. Slight differences in fit and finish - and of course price - will be the major separating factors.

begin 666 2_bing.gif M1TE&.#EA"@`*`.94`/RM+/^$!OZ9(ORM,/RO,OVG*_W&;/RJ)_^'"_^&"O^' M$/Z9(?RG'?V=$?_NW/V=$_^D1__OWOV@)_Z&!/^%"?_KUORK)?V>%O^&"_ZX M8/[EN_^R8ORL)__@K/^6*__IT/^+%O[PV?^)#__@M_Z2'?Z-!OV0`OVB(/Z2 M'/^?/?[+BO[JR_^.&O_6J_[OU_RN,/RJ)/RO,?RN+O_IS/VQ3/^&#/V6"_ZD M-_V3!_Z)"OZ-"?_[]_RI(/RG(/V?)O^#!/VG+/^)$?RE'/RK)OZ1&?[@NO^ M`/_^_?^)$/_2H/V:&?^E2/[5F_VU0_^$!?[-A?W!7__%AORL*?^.&?___P`` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````````````````````````````````"'Y! $``%0` M+ `````*``H`0 =D@%0`!"]2'#($`%0U*1!&3C\4"1@B$C8=*B8X-!]*/@,] M!QHN*R%-0@,H$U$[%1$M1#DD4A8\,% &,0Q#4D -3S,G#TPC%P4")1D.-P)%

823H+01M'2U,>`0$(+%0*2%/?WR!4@0`[ ` end
Reply to
Bill

> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber handles"

I bought that set last Spring, gor about $20 IIRC. Anyway it is a good set and the tools are larger for larger hands. The handles have been no problem.

Reply to
Leon

> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber handles"

Sears and home depot has simlar sets for about $10 to $12. These kinds of sets are featured from time to time. If you want to buy some basic tool at a good price, now is the time. All the retail and big box stores that usually sell tools have "christmas packages" of tools.

I ended up buying a set of pliers from both sears and home depot by accident. (brain fart, maybe?) For as often as I use them, they will probably outlive me. And the did the job jusrt fine when I used them. At these prices, You will probably lose them or have them stolen before they break.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

>>> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber

All I really was looking for was a good set of vise-grips, and then I noticed Lowes had a set of 4 vise-grip-like tools for $19.99, then I noticed their 10 piece set for $39.99. Then I got suspicious ... ; )

The jaw of the large vise-grips met more like 2 claws compared to the flatter jaws that I remember (on dad's). I think in a tough situation (when you'd pull these out) I'd prefer the latter type. Sears didn't have just what I was looking for either, but I'll look again. The jaws are more important than the grips.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

For what all that information is worth, the set you have indicated is the same set I bought and it has the China stamp in the tools.

>>> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber >> handles"

Reply to
Leon

The ones that look like claws are intended for round objects (pipe, etc) Kobalt also has the straight jaws. Lowe's also sells Irwin and Vise Grip Locking pliers as does Home Depot and Sears.

Max

Reply to
Max

OOPs, I think Vise Grip *is* Irwin now.

Max

Reply to
Max

Max,

Thank you for pointing that that style of vise-grips is for objects with a round cross-section (didn't know that). Now, I am more likely to be using the right one for the right job!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

You're welcome. I have more "vise grips" than I need but not as many as I want. :-)

Max

Reply to
Max

> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber

Here's a similar set for one-quarter of the price:

'Course this one only has SIX pliers instead of ten, so it's maybe only 1/3 the price, all things considered.

And before anybody starts raggin' about "Cheap Chinese Junk!," just where are Kobalt tools made?

Reply to
HeyBub

>>> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber

You don't think there's any difference between Kobalt tools and Harbor Freight.......uh..........."tools"?

Max

Reply to
Max

>>> Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber

My Kobalt tools, the exact ones that the OP referenced are made in China.

Reply to
Leon

Of course there's a difference! About thirty dollars.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, there's frugal and then there's just plain *cheap*.

Frugal Max

Reply to
Max