Interesting pliers at CPC

These electrician's pliers (bottom of page) look interesting.

Dave Plowman (News)

The price is the most interesting part.

They are usually only £20 plus VAT at most electrical wholesalers.

CK are not good IMHO. Knipex are far better.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

'Look interesting'? Now we understand. Tools ain't about doing jobs, they're about possession, owning, gloating over.....

:-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

ordinary wire cutters, you end up with those two extra wire stripping notches after the flash and the bang... I found the resulting wire cutters to be extremely useful, but unfortunately mislaid them about 10 years later. I guess I can always make another one ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I still have the set I 'made' in 1969... .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Yeah - watch out for CPC "bargain" prices

latest flier from CPC has a webcam identical to one I have just bought but it is £2 more expensive and the Hitachi ext HDD is about a tenner up on my local computer shop

Reply to
geoff

Ah. I'd never seen them before. Most of the combination cutters/strippers I've seen have been lightweight devices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager saying something like:

You don't get the chance these days - the RCD will flip first.

I had a set that a 'friend' made later than that, by the simple expedient of using them to cut something far too hard.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not if you get it dead straight - earth core is thinner than the others..!

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Good test for GP side cutters - something like piano wire. Most fail it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ordinary iron wire will notch cutters quickly, if you want to do it deliberately.

NT

Reply to
NT

The Knipex website gives the maximum diameter piano wire that their side cutters will cut through. I have never had the chance to try that.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

For hard wire Lindstrom TRX8180 about 50 quid plus VAT but they are very nice indeed

Adam Aglionby

Assuming your vision isn't impaired too much!

Reply to
1501

On a decent make? I'd hope not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I saw someone insert a 14-inch screwdriver too near a magnetron. After the flash and bang he was left with 3 inches of plastic handle.

Reply to
Bob Martin

It took about a week for the vapourised copper to wear off the end of my thumb and thumb nail, although it didn't do any harm or hurt or burn or anything like that, but it wouldn't wash off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That sounds implausible, iron is rather soft.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

try it then

NT