DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

Since the Raspberry Pi will be with us soon-ish (well, about six weeks I am told, for mine) does anyone have any interesting ideas about what they might do with it/them?
I've heard of car computers, TV boxes, PBCes as ideas...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:09:32 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

PBC => PBX
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 04/03/2012 22:10, Bob Eager wrote:

All of that I can do with a nicely cased repurposed thin client PC. And there are thousands of those scrapped at prices next to nothing.
I think (but hope not) a number of them are destined to a place in a lonely drawer shared with long lost dusty socks and broken iPods...
--
Adrian C

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:36:20 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

of which I have several but they are watt graspers unlike the pi - already have 3 lower power media players, a low power NAS - home monitoring server with internet access .........
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
Brian Gaff wrote:

Yep - perl is better for this. Start like BASIC, end up like C.
OK - it's not as clean as python, but it is noth a grat hacking/fiddling langauge and it *can* easily be made to do more in a clean way (but that requires discipline).
--
Tim Watts

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 05:00:31 -0000, "Brian Gaff"

They never went that far :) A few coal fired stations used BBC B's for a teletext like display of critical temperature and pressures with logging to disk.
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:38:29 +0000, Rick wrote:

Well, the RP has a quarter of a gigabyte of memory and a reasonably powerful CPU. And a place to attach keyboard, mouse and display. So it's a bit more than a development board.
--

It maybe needs something like this to make it a decent toy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Serial-I2C-Multi-i-o-ADC-DAC-and-Twin-Relay-/310254211004?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item483c978fbc
On 05/03/2012 00:48, brass monkey wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Serial-I2C-Multi-i-o-ADC-DAC-and-Twin-Relay-/310254211004?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item483c978fbc
It already has some of that onboard IIRC...
--
Cheers,

John.

Sounds ike one of Acorns earlier efforts, took em on to the BBC Micro and Risc which brings full circle to the RP...

Which involved half a day of typing to shoot a full stop from an inverted V at traveling X`s...
If you were lucky had a C2N or , now highly collectable small keyboard PET with the built in cassette drive, the seriously rich had the 8" shugart floppy.

Been a while since you looked at current dev kits, Arduino has taken off in a big way, with even GUI based programming methods aimed at the under 10`s, getting a stepper motor moving is a plug in` shield` and bolt together `sketch` of code...
Rasperry PI has onboarrd keyboard mouse and probably crucially HDMI out, it costs the same as cheap video card but has the rest of the P.C. attached, can see it gaining big traction in markets where networked screens are used...
Extra I/O in similar format is an obvious aftermarket.
Cheers Adam
John Rumm wrote:

Employ some computing science teachers instead of typing instructors.
JGH
On 05/03/2012 10:10, jgharston wrote:

Easily said... but there are not many of those about.
--
Cheers,

John.

On 05/03/12 10:10, jgharston wrote:

There are some people who went from the software industry into teaching but there aren't enough of them. There are far more teachers who have been handed the brown and smelly end of the stick. Pretty much without exception they would like to teach something more exciting than how to format a paragraph in Word. But we aren't suddenly going to hire another 20,000 experienced IT professionals as teachers even if there were that many able and willing to do the job.
So we have the situation that we have.
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
Bernard Peek wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm one of those IT professionals who wouldn't go back into teaching even if you threatened to shoot me.
JGH
On 05/03/12 12:28, jgharston wrote:

But could you spare a couple of hours to bring an existing teacher up to speed?
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
On Monday, 5 March 2012 12:39:45 UTC, Bernard Peek wrote:

My wife is one of those IT teachers. I'm sure she wouldn't mind me passing on that she has a degree in Geography, A levels in Maths, Geography and Economics and only a passing interest in computers. She can't program a computer (never been near it) and has only ended up as a teacher in the IT department because after her various maternity leave's there were some gaps in the IT department (but not the geography one which she left before giving birth).
She is a good teacher - in that she can teach well - but her expertise in IT is limited, and when she gets stuck with aspects of Word / Excel / Access / etc she asks me!
I'm sure several of her colleagues in the department have a similar background too.
Matt

I'd love to. Now how do I explain this to friends who are being laid off from our local university, where they were already doing just that as their full-time job? This "rework ICT" initiative sounds great at first, except that it also seems to be being used as an excuse to dump its teaching from state-funded schools and onto the voluntary sector.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:23:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley

This is happening all over the place. It's called the "Big Society".
--
(\__/) M.
On 05/03/2012 12:28, jgharston wrote:

Although, while I would not want to try and teach kids directly (unless they were a self selecting group who wanted to learn this sort of stuff), I might be prepared to teach the teachers.
--
Cheers,

John.