DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 04:18:33 -0800 (PST), jgharston wrote:

True enough, but AFAIK there is no "generic" word processor or spreadsheet out there so you have to choose something and, although it pains me to say it, Word and Excel are the defacto standards out there.
Employers will ask "Can you use Word?" not "Can you use a word processor?" Indeed if I was asked the latter question I'd ask "Which one?", I use Describe 5 by preference, can get by in Word (but hate it), never got very far up the vertical learning curve of Wordperfect and quite liked Wordstar (text based under DOS).
It's down to the teaching, it should not be "to do this, click here" it should be task driven, and let the pupils find out how to achieve the end result. Followed by dicussion of the various methods found and which ones are better to use. See other comments about use of styles instead of using spaces and carriage returns to produce layout. Ideally there should be a few different programs available and the different ways of achieving the same result on those different programs also discussed.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 05/03/12 12:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Some schools are using Open/Libre Office for word-processing and spreadsheets, but there is still no usable alternative to MS Access.
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
On 05/03/2012 14:22, Bernard Peek wrote:

Does "no usable alternative" include MS Access itself?
I've been doing databasy-stuff professionally for over 20 years now and have still never had to touch access :-)
On 05/03/12 16:41, Clive George wrote:

That's probably your loss. Some people use it very badly for jobs that it's not suited for. But for the jobs it does well there is nothing else.
It's good for rapid prototyping without needing a single line of code. It includes a database engine, interfaces to back-end systems, import-export tools, a visual forms designer and a very powerful report generator. You can get some of those features in separate products but they won't integrate as well. There have been various attempts at doing the same thing under Linux but none that I would trust my data to.
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com
On 05/03/2012 16:41, Clive George wrote:

What should be taught is bare naked SQL, stored procedures, triggers and connection strings...
Access is a front end forms and VB thing that should have been killed off a long time ago or absorbed into something else. Excel I think.
Mis-spent 10 years of my life on that junk.
Meanwhile, my niece has been exposed to Microsoft Publisher at school :-(
Before the Software For Students deals, Publisher was a stupefyingly expensive package to buy for home practice use, and hence was pirated about widely.
--
Adrian C

Adrian C wrote:

I once spent several days trying to get access to do something beyond give me a default view of a flat table.
I had MySQL doing useful stuff in under a day, and couple into a php html form in less than a week.

And isn't a patch on Quark anwyay.

In Access tables are only ever tables. Forms and reports based on the table present the data any way you please. I had a lot of fun learning the basics of Access. I never got beyond macros though, and I suspect most people don't need to either. It's the "relational" aspect that should be taught, something that IME programmers don't necessarily understand too well!
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:35:36 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

I've taught relational databases at A level (computer science) - but not with ACCESS IIRC I used VFP8 at the time
There are 2 areas here ICT - word processing, spreadsheets, files folders etc whichh all will still do and the computer science aspect (what the RPi is targeted on) how cmputing machines work etc
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
On 05/03/2012 19:17, Ghostrecon wrote:

That takes me back a bit... used to like knocking up things in FoxPro LAN in its DOS days ;-)

Anyone got any figures for how many students do computer science these days at GCSE or A Level? IIRC when I did my A level in '85/6 there were only about 120 students in the country that took it that year.. I get the impression there have never been big numbers doing it.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 03:00:55 +0000, John Rumm

I don't have the figures but, the schools I know, don't even offer any computer science teaching. All they do is ICT.
--
(\__/) M.
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:32:19 +0000, Mark wrote:

I know quite a few. But then it's my job to visit them.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:09:04 +0000, Mark wrote:

University admissions....
BTw, can I have a prize for starting the fastest growing thread in uk.d-i-y for quite a while?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Mar 6, 4:43pm, Bob Eager wrote:

The prize would be a RPi, but they're out of stock :-)
Owain
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:25:33 -0800, Owain wrote:

LOL! Oh well, just a few weeks to wait..
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

How about an emulator? Or at least that is what I think it is supposed to be.
http://rpi.descartes.co.uk/sim-emu /

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:05:56 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Oh, there is...but I have plenty of othe rthings to play with in the meantime...like ten Arduino nanos...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:17:44 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

If you add another 990 of them, do they turn into a micro? (sorry, but it is Friday...)
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:54:12 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

Funny you should say that! .-)
The Arduino Mini is actually smaller than the nano...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 06/03/2012 20:25, Owain wrote:

Sometime end of March the girl at CPC told me...
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:38:25 +0000, Mark wrote:

I've been given a delivery date of week commencing 16th of April.