DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

Mine in 1982 was called A level Computer "Science", not studies. It was pretty dry content as above, just around the time games consoles and home computers became big and were a world apart from paper tape and learning about random and sequential file access...

Lessons were spent in the first half hour yawning our heads off, and later in the second half slaying the aliens ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

*only* RS and Farnell, the latter, like CPC being a part of the Premier Farnell Group.
Reply to
The Other Mike

I've had a projected delivery date of 14/05/12 from Farnell. Ordered 29/02/12

Reply to
brass monkey

I know. In fact I spent some time today advising a student to sign up for the BTEC instead of A levels.

Reply to
Bob Eager

studies or science .. I'm sure I could personally dessicate the subject even more :-(

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Did you get an earlier one of 16/4/12? If so, that's the correct one and the later date is a mistake.

Also note that both dates are actually 'week commencing'...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think we had 20 - 30, but there were only about six other institutions running the same course in the country that year.

Computer Science is usually fairly full on and technically deep. Lots of focus on high and low level languages, programming, microprocessor and computer architecture (across micro to mainframe), peripherals. Logic, boolean algebra, rudimentary digital circuit design...Plus systems type work on things like public utility billing and other big data processing tasks. Ours culminated three papers IIRC One two hours short answer paper, and two three hour long written answer papers.

Reply to
John Rumm

I had one 23/04/12

Reply to
brass monkey

> So does that mean CPC had listed them at some stage? I thought it was Yup...

I presume that since they are part of Farnell they got included. They certainly seemed happy to take orders (and by the sounds of it, were inundated with them)

Reply to
John Rumm

There was a fair overlap if I recall... as part of our A level course we actually sat the AO level Computer Studies exam after year one. (AO being O level in standard but aimed at an older audience IIRC)

Did you have that book by Carl French? Seemed to be very popular at the time... the purple "Science" one, and a slightly thinner tgold coloured "Studies" one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup! Both are still swimming about in the Loft somewhere. Should dig it out and have another go at those karnaugh maps :)

Don't quite believe the current cost of the book on Amazon - £46?

Adrian C

Reply to
Bob Eager

Still it has gone up three editions since my one ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

and who (families) doesn't have a spare TV?

Keyboard 9.99, mouse 5.99 memory 9.99, total cost 50 quid

tim

Reply to
tim....

That's the standard mechanism for "ARM" processors. There are a dozen (or more) manufactures all producing them with different "on chip" add ons for specific purposes. Some may have as many as 30 different extra "modules" all on chip.

tim

Reply to
tim....

How are you proposing to add memory?

Reply to
Tim Streater

He presumably means an SD card.

Reply to
brass monkey

Thass not memory in this context, though, is it? If he means SSD equivalent he shoud say so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

generate electric clock impulses (pulsynetic etc) derived from NTP

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Cheaper version of this - a face-tracking robot eye:

might have seen it on Dirk Gently last night)

Parts cost on that V1 is around =A3100, of which 40-ish each is on both the mbed controller and the serial interface camera to feed it. An Arduino hasn't got the horsepower. An rPi though is capable, cheaper and best of all it can use a USB-interface webcam that's under a tenner. Using the rPi could halve the electronics cost. I'm planning to offer kits for them - several people who want props can handle making the model (in a variety of forms), but are shy of the electronics and coding.

Reply to
Andy Dingley