DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi?

I did say without writing a line of code. If you look at the Express editions of VS you will find out that they are designed to make database programming difficult.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

I wouldn't put it that strongly, ok so the VSE webdev can't create databases, but you can just do that in SQL studio, then import the database as the model of your MVC (model/view/controller) it automagically creates generates the controller code for each table, and web pages per view for CRUD (create/update/delete) functions for each controller, following whatever relations you made within the database.

No, I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie (but I'm a bit snobbish and would hesitate to recommend MS access either) but it's the first time in about 15 years I've been impressed by the amount that VS(E) does for you ... of course when you start tinkering you still wish it'd do more for you, but I wouldn't knock it, it *does* get you a basic functional web-based app without writing a line of code.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even that's not true, depends whether you prefer database first (in which case you can't use VSE to create the database) or to write code first (in which case VSE will create a SQL schema from your object model, but there's the disadvantage that if you want to change the schema it will drop and re-create everything rather than import incremental schema changes if you make them in the database).

Anyway, enough MS advert from me, but VSWD(E) is a decent alternative to writing and distributing an access app if you vaguely know what you're doing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Righto, ta.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I didn't think so, you can make databases with forms and the like without any code.

Reply to
dennis

But dependant on the partcular GUI you are using, even on the same OS.

Brings up context sensitive help, sometimes.

No Start here either.

I've got that but you don't use it unless you *really* have to as it might not shut the file system down properly.

It's all well and good syaing you need to learn how to do that list of things but there a subtle variations between versions of the same GUI. Once you move to a different GUI there can be major differences. Personally I don't like Windows, it's inconsistent, Mac I positively detest, the K Desktop isn't bad, Gnome is to dumbed down. Presentation Manager gets it more or less right but I doubt many here have used a system with PM on it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Long before. It was documented as the preferred Help key on the very first PC (there's a list of recommended keys in the original Technical Reference Manual, circa 1981).

But it works differently on DOS and Windows, of course.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My Windows system (used rarely) doesn't *have* a Start button.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Report Program Generator?

Reply to
djc

Personally I'm quite used to a combination of classic mode XP and a 4NT prompt for most of the actual file work. Didn't really get on with PM that much.

Reply to
Clive George

They never went that far :) A few coal fired stations used BBC B's for a teletext like display of critical temperature and pressures with logging to disk.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Where I stick my start button in windows as it happens... ;-) (double depth task bar, auto hidden at the top of my left screen)

Indeed, give a mouse with extra buttons and they can be quite civilised! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

One could argue it was hardly worth paying for...

InDesign seems to be sweeping that away now... they rested too long relying on their position as "industry standard"!

Reply to
John Rumm

That takes me back a bit... used to like knocking up things in FoxPro LAN in its DOS days ;-)

Anyone got any figures for how many students do computer science these days at GCSE or A Level? IIRC when I did my A level in '85/6 there were only about 120 students in the country that took it that year.. I get the impression there have never been big numbers doing it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought I remembered it from the days when I was using Sprint to write stuff, but I wasn't sure if it was just a Borland thing. Thanks.

Of course, and the way it works changed with Vista.

Reply to
John Williamson

3.11? It's been there since 'Doze 95. The Start orb in 7 and Vista is just a differently shaped start button.
Reply to
John Williamson

My Start button (if that's what it's still called) is also at top left. But I have the taskbar down the left side, the only sensible place for it IMO with a widescreen monitor.

Not that the on-screen Start button gets used from one month to the next. The one on the keyboard is so much more convenient. IMO one of the most important things people *don't* know about computers, and should have drummed into them at school and beyond, is how much simpler and quicker it is to use the keyboard instead of the mouse for many common operations. I always wince when I see someone using the mouse to move from one field to the next when filling in a form. TAB, dammit, TAB!

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I don't have the figures but, the schools I know, don't even offer any computer science teaching. All they do is ICT.

Reply to
Mark

InDesign is actually crap, but its geared to people who don't actually know any better.

And of course its 'good enough'

Quark is instantly accessible to someone coming from hot metl typesetting who understands things like proper kerning and spacing, and so on. But you don't get far in Quark without spending time setting up your templates. Once you have done that, though, the whole book has a nice common style.

InDesign is more like Word plus..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave