ideas for determining possible termite damage

We're trying to come up with ideas for possibly determining existing termite damage to a home. The Terminix people have told me that when termites find something good, they drop a pheromone that attracts other termites into the infested area -- it seems odd that they can't detect these pheromones, but there's probably some complexity involved that I don't understand. It seems feasible to me, but what do I know?

What we're thinking at the moment is finding a good stud finder, one that has a "meter" on it (a series of lights) that displays the density of the board that it is finding behind the plaster. If we go through the rooms on the first floor that we believe might have damage (based on the proximity of to existing, visible damage in the basement), we might find some damaged/destroyed studs. Can anyone recommend good quality stud finders?

I've read several stories about devices that law enforcement has available now that are basically infrared devices that detect heat in a house, basically allowing them to "view" through the walls into houses from the street. Is there nothing like this in the world of extermination? Do insects just not put off enough heat?

It seems that, technology-wise, there should be some kind of device that can show us the density of boards beneath the plaster, which could give us an idea of whether or not termites have eaten away at the structure of a house.

Anybody else have any ideas/experience along these lines that they'd like to share?

Thanks, fnord

Reply to
fnord

You might try a CAT scan or MRI.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Electronics are not going to do it, A termite dog will find the areas , but you must open it up to see.

Reply to
m Ransley

What might have been a better route for original poster would be to ask (depending on if he has siding or brick) HOW can I inspect for insect damage. Would taking bottom row of siding down be better than cutting a 12 inch strip from bottom of sheetrock to inspect underlying wall studs.. I have the same question due to having repaired water damage and removing bad wood, fiinding powder post beetles in that area. Now concerned if I should cut through sheetrock to inspect other parts of house sence I do need to repaint interior anyway...

Chuck

, 16 Aug 2004 04:37:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Reply to
Chuck