Painting exterior brick walls

I have a bungalow with a fairly large perimeter all of which is pretty ugly brick. To make matters worth, the brick is crumbling in a few places. I want to have the whole house painted. Is that something that is worth doing yourself? Can the paint be rolled on with a roller or do I need to have the house sprayed? I want to make sure that I cover not just the brick but also the mortar joints. Will a deep pile roller do the job?

Reply to
Leon

Painting may indeed distract you from the crumbling mortar/brick, but it wont repair it. You need first to repoint/replace re-mortar bad bricks, to waterproof the house. Once repaired, *then* decide the momentous decision of whether to paint relatively maintenance free bare brick.Further, painting exterior brick signs you up to a career of repeated exterior house painting, and cannot easily be reversed if you or a subsequent owner wants to go back to the original brick. If you must paint it, in my experience spray works better than roller, as it gets the mortar saturated better, and handles brick textures better.

Reply to
Roger

As other poster said, but renting a very high pressure power washer is a goof first step, you will clean it and remove most loose brick. But is brick flaking all around or is it moisture freezing, a roof, lintel, sill or tuckpointing leaks that are causing failure.

Reply to
m Ransley