Advice on buying an air compressor for cleaning/dusting

I have a number of applications for compressed air, and I've been wanting to have an unlimited source (vs. cans of Dust Off or similar).

Some example applications:

- Cleaning dust from various household items (we live in a dusty area)

- Blowing dust bunnies out of our desktop computers once a year or so

- Blowing dust out of our garage-remodeled-to-portrait studio (yes, I know - this is much higher demand than the first two examples)

What I've been able to find out so far:

- A diaphragm-style (oil-less) compressor is preferable; no particles of oil in the air stream

- A filter may still be required to deal with water droplets (from condensation during compression)

- I want something electrical (not gas powered)

- I would need a "blow gun" attachment (?)

I don't have any sense for what I need in terms of max. PSI, capacity (gal), or flow rate.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

Reply to
mr.intj

Blowing dust will not eleminated dust, it only stirs it up so that it can resettle later in the day. You would be much better off using a vaccuum and perhaps running an air filter.

Use a leaf blower.

Lot's of noisw with those type compressors.

For the purposes you have stated the condensation coming out the hose may not be an issue. When the compressor gets hot in humid conditions the water becomes more of a problem.

Reply to
Leon

My dad got one of these for his vacation home:

easy to carry, fairly quiet, does the jobs you require.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

In general, an air compressor is not a cleaning tool. If you insist on blowing your dust from one place to another, use protection (for your lungs that is...).

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Just about anything between the 12-volt kind used to air up tires in an emergency and the monsters that drive impact wrenches.

Here's a cheap one which will handle all the tasks you mentioned (plus air up your car tires):

can get "kits" of common accessories at the box store to include connectors, nozzles, air-guage, etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

IMO, you don't need a compressor, you need a good shop vac...

I have a reducer kit for mine to vacuum keyboards and cases... you can also use it on the "blower" port of the vac if you really need to...

We live an area of high dust and sand content and wouldn't dream of blowing it around the house or shop... it's the shop vac all the way..

In the shop, I use my wife's feather duster with the shop vac close enough to it to pull the dust up, but not close enough to pull up screws, small parts, etc...

I tried using the compressor once for my display shelves with bowls and stuff on them.... even with the dust collector and air filter running, all I did was spread the dust all over the place...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:GWgii.2982$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have one that looks very much like that, and would not describe it as quiet at all.

Works pretty well, though, running the brad nailers and staplers for which I intended it.

Blowing out the shop means it runs constantly, and that's hearing protection time for sure.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

How about the little compressors sold for airbrushes? The one I have had for years isn't very quiet, but then again it's been hacked on a bit. I think it's good to about 30 psi and about 2 CFM, but neither at the same time.

This one from HF might do it for you:

's has a little compressor for inflating stuff for a few bucks less. Item 223561

Reply to
Carl McIver

- Here's a cheap one which will handle all the tasks you mentioned (plus air

- up your car tires):

-

-

don't know about that $59.99 one from Harbor Fright, but I can tell you from experience that this $79.99 unit from Harbor Fright sucks:

neighbor bought it and hates it. The air hose empties the tank so quickly that you can't even blow out a single computer chassis without filling the tank 2 -3 times, which takes over 10 minutes to do.

He tried to fill a tire that wasn't flat, just had a slow leak, and he had to fill the tank twice. It says it's rated at 100 PSI, but once the gauge got down to about 50 PSI, it did not appear to be putting any more air in the tire.

Even if it turns itself on while your using it, the output pressure is so low that it's not worth using. He's ready to chuck it and I told him to chuck it over the other guy's fence, not mine! I don't want it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03