Air compressor

Need a good air compressor for all around home use, in the $150 to $200 range. Any pointers? I don't know to much about them...Any help would be appreciated . Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Best to know what you are going to use it for, what tools you plan to run with it. Then you can match the style and capacity of the compressor to the application(s).

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I second what Frank said plus I'll add. The kits you see at the big box stores, amazon and other places are fine for the average DIYer for most things plus they are a good deal. Senco, Bostich, Porter Cable, Hitachi, Dewalt are all fine for a DIYer. I'm sure there are others.

Reply to
No

Hi, Most economy kit is direct drive dry running type. Must get a lubricated one. I have a belt driven quite large Campbell Hauser Extreme duty. I need this to blow my sprinkler system in the fall plus lot of other things, working on cars, using various tools, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You ain't gonna find it for that price unless it is used, and in that case, it is entirely possible. Unless you are going to blow up basketballs and inflatable girlfriends. The small ones won't run many air tools. They won't pressure up much air. One good shot from an air tool, and they are back on. And the smaller ones have obnoxiously loud noisy oil less compressors. An undersized air compressor has to work harder and stay on longer. It doesn't last long, and you will be back at the store before long buying what you should have bought in the first place. Spend some bucks and buy slightly more than you need. You'll be grateful for it later. Or shop for a used one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ok, here's the poop from someone who learned the hard way! I bought a Craftsman Vertical for 329.00 (don't remember the model#) I had it for two days believing that this would work for a home shop. Well I was wrong, I had enough power to inflate things like tires and balls and such. I was able to run a die grinder, but not for long, the compressor would cycle so many times and this thing was super noisy, THere is no way that you could have this in the same space and you are working. I tried using a DA sander there was not enough air to complete the job I would have to wait for the compressor to build pressure before I could continue sanding a table. Well, I got fed up with it because it was more frustrating then it was good. I took the compressor back. Now, this part of the story will most likely NOT happen to you. I just happened to be in the right place at the VERY right time. Walking around a local Tractor supply I saw an Ingersol Rand compressor sitting on a pallet with a tag on it that said trash! I thought I had better ask about this, I called for the manager and was told that indeed it was marked for destruction and to be put in the steel recycle bin. I asked if he could sell it, he told me that It had a hole in the tank. I said how much? he told me 40.00 DONE AND DONE!!!!! I took it home plug it in and found the hole a small pin hole in the factory weld. I touched my MIG to it and BAM I had an 850.00 compressor for 40 bucks and low and behold the warranty was still available for it. Anyway, I used this compressor for about 10 min and realized what I had been missing. It can run my die grinder and my impact gun at the same time. It is well worth getting a better compressor then dealing with the frustration of a cheapy. I can even have this in my work area without being botherd by the noise it produces, which is not as much as the Sears.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Spend more money and get an oil lubricated, belt drive model. The cheaper, direct drives are incredibily noisy and don't last long. Once you have a compressor, it's amazing the things you can do with it. For instance, an auto detailer told me the compressor is a detailer's secret weapon. He uses it to blow dirt and dust out of all those little nooks and crannies.

That's why I say get more compressor than you think you need. You'll thank yourself for it later on.

Reply to
hhk

Hi, Lucky duck!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Interestingly, there are also direct-drive oil-lubricated ditties, got one (Alton) at Sam's club a while back--$99, 11-gal. So-so unit--but not bad, all things considered. Noisey, of course. But then, I'm cursed w/ super-sensitive hearing. :(

Home Despot was carrying the Husky line of oil-lubricated compressors, and I got a 26 gal vertical floor model for $150--normally about $280 or so. It shines in one particular aspect: It is *very quiet*, as far as air compressors go.

A fellow had two SpeedAires, a big 2-stage vertical, and a smaller single-stage horizontal, and I noted how quiet the smaller unit was--much quieter than his big 2-stage. I then noticed, at HD, that the compressor head on the Husky was almost identical to that of the small SpeedAire, and bought it on the spot. Cast iron head, belt drive, oil, 110/220V motor, quiet, really not bad, except for the crappy controls. In fact, Husky (actually Campbell Hausfield, iirc) claims they make Speedaires compressor heads, as well as for a few other brands.

I recommend taking off the belt guard on the Husky (if possible/safe), as the spokes on the pulley will move some air around the head. Also, I put a relay on the pressure cutout, so the crappy control contacts don't have to bear the brunt of the motor current, just the coil current of the relay. Also lowered the cutout pressure (was 145 psi, too high for single stage and most shop needs), and moved the controls off the tank, and run the motor on

220 instead of 110.

I think the Husky, in the below-$300 range, is one of the better values. I searched for a while, and don't think you can get much for under $200. Unless you luck out at a HD or Lowes, like I did.

Altho my $99 11-gal Alton may be right up your alley, depending on your needs . Saw something similar for $79 on sale, and mebbe Harbor Freight has these. If direct drive, at least let the compressor be oil lubricated. The Alton doesn't start well in the cold, however. :)

The folks >> Need a good air compressor for all around home use, in

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®