Buying an Air Compressor Suggestions: craftsman 30gal Vertical

I am shopping for an air compressor for the house to do average crap around the house, rotate tires, run a small nailer, ratchet, etc....nothing professional but I would like to have a nice setup for the garage.

My question involves the different compressors I have seen out there small (2-7 gallons) and larger (15-33 gals). I have been leaning towards the craftsman 30gal vertical 6HP....Does anyone have this compressor and how really LOUD is this thing?

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
vpenoso

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

It's loud enough you'll need hearing protection, your plates will fall out of the cabinets and your cows won't give milk for the next week. I think it even rattled a couple of my fillings loose. I bought the exact one (6 HP,

6.4 CFM @ 90, 30 Gal vertical w/ free impact & ratchet) about this time last year and kept it for 8 months (took me that long to own up to the fact that I'd made a mistake). The direct drive, oil free units run at way too high RPM with a short stroke...did I mention it's loud?

It makes enough air for impacts, nailers and ratchets but not for painting (even though the chart on the machine says it'll run a spray gun), sanding or driving screws. I was terribly dissappointed with the noise level and the lack of usable air.

I sold it for half what I paid for it and bought a 60 gal 220V Ingersoll. Do whatever you've got to to get a belt driven, oil lubed machine. For what you're talking about a 5-6 CFM @ 90 machine should do as long as you don't want to sand, paint, or screw the flooring down on your deck with it. The oil lubed units have a longer stroke, turn lower RPM's and make much less noise. My new Ingersoll sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle. If you've got access to a 220V outlet go for a 60 gal unit. You can get a CH (Lowe's) or a Husky (Home Depot) for $399 or an IR for $499 at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. If you need a 110V machine just get a belt driven one that makes about 5 or 6 CFM @ 90 for what you're doing and you'll be OK.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Joel McLawhorn

I'll second Joel's post. LOUD LOUD LOUD, and HOT HOT HOT. I have the Ingersol Rand SSL3 compressor, and it is all he said it is. You'll not be happy with that smaller unit. Spend the extra bucks, and go with the IR. If you don't have 220V in your garage. IR makes a few portable compressors. Check them out at

I got mine there, cheaper than anyone else, no sales tax, free shipping, and if you want, you can use their ezpay thing.

Rick K

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
luckystrike39