OT - Returns Revisited

I didn't read all the posts on Derby's thread, but read a few.

I bought a digital clock at Walmart. Put a battery in it and the clock did n't run. Brought it back to Walmart and the service girl noted I didn't pe el off the clock face covering, which look like the real clock face. DUH! The clock worked fine. I felt like an idiot.

There's at least one website that sells returned items, in bulk. This (be low) site offers returns, refurbished, salvage, shelf pulls, used and new i tems. I suppose some outlets bundle their returns, that way, then some ot her "handler" offers these bundles on websites as this. The "tools and machinery" tab/menu displays other related products.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I suspect that some one buys them, then I think I get a good deal on them when I see them in the flea market for sale. ;-)

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

idn't run. Brought it back to Walmart and the service girl noted I didn't peel off the clock face covering, which look like the real clock face. DU H! The clock worked fine. I felt like an idiot.

below) site offers returns, refurbished, salvage, shelf pulls, used and new items. I suppose some outlets bundle their returns, that way, then some other "handler" offers these bundles on websites as this.

I went to Home Depot today looking for some new covers/lenses for the can lights in one of my bathrooms. The guy in the lighting department pointed out these new "covers" that come complete with a LED bulb and a pigtail with a standard "bulb base". They also have a switch so the user can change the output to 5 different light colors. (Warm, Soft, Daylight, etc.)

I said "Maybe I should give them a try. I just installed a new heater/fan that has an LED light. If I can match the color of the can lights to the fan light, that would be sweet."

He said "Sure, give them a try. You can always return them if you don't like them."

I chuckled to myself as I thought about thread I started the other day.

Thing is, these were packaged the "old fashion" way: in a cardboard box. If I decide to return them, they will be returned in pristine condition, ready to be sold again. Not like those blister packs that prompted me to start the other thread.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

About 10-12 days ago, kitchenette garbage disposer died. Bought a new one at Lowes. The box looked pristine, but the insides had a few minor blemish es.... didn't think much of it at the time. Installed the disposer, checke d for leaks - water poured out of the dish washer port. Kitchenette doesn' t have a dishwasher. Someone had popped out the dishwasher plug. Well, th ought maybe I could make a plug and did so. Leak test was ok. Flipped the switch, got only a hum. Motor is jammed and there's a metal grinding nois e, when I tried to turn it manually.

Uninstalled the unit, shook it a bit, a small metal ring (like a small key ring or chain link) fell out, bent/disfigured. Other loose metal sounding debris still inside. Returned, got a new one, installed today, that works fine.

Realized, later, the difficulty installing the wire clamp, on the bottom p ort, may be another sign someone didn't know what they were doing with thei r install and/or operation.

Someone had apparently re-boxed/returned the unit after damaging it. That ring was obviously foreign to a disposer.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'd be bull shit a Lowes for doing that. Maybe they will install the new one for you since they put you through that for no good reason.

Easy returns are nice, but someone should be checking what comes back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I did report to the return-girl about what I discovered and what I suspecte d had happened with some other purchaser, re-boxing/returning the unit. I demonstrated not being able to spin the motor, manually, with the Allen wre nch. She could readily hear the metal grinding sound. I shook the unit to demonstrate the loose metal, still inside. She did call the manager and explained the situation. I suppose there was/is some effort for quality control.

I had misplaced the ring, which I wanted to show them. Once back home, I f ound the ring under the toe kick of the cabinet.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Tangent: I've lost count of the number of times I've been hired to replace a garbage disposal and all that needed done was to take the dime or soda-can pop-top out from between the impeller and shredder ring.

The first thing I do is stick my inspection camera down there or a flash light and it's usually the problem. I say, "I'd love to swap this disposal for your new one, but I can fix the problem in about 5 minutes if you'd prefer. Then you can take back the new one and get your money back."

They usually are thrilled to pay my minimum service visit fee and save a bunch of money on the easy fix. Occasionally, they'll ask me to go ahead and swap them out because they've already spent all that time looking at the shiny new one. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

The kicker on stuff like this is how do they know it was a second person who discovered this rather than the one who caused the problem to begin with?

I've gotten in habit that if a box has been opened of getting an acknowledgement on the receipt before leaving the store at the BORGS "just in case".

Reply to
dpb

At Home Despot any time that kind of thing has happened they have offered me a sizeable discount for my troubles - haven't even had to ask (just told them I was dissapointed thatI had to be put to the inconvenience because the product had not been functional)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 12:01:40 PM UTC-6, Clare Snyder wrote: At Home Despot any time that kind of thing has happened they have

Yeah, I just didn't want the hassle. It was bad timing, at the moment, an d I just wanted a working disposal.

It had been over a week since the disposal crapped out. The delay in fixin g it was Mom took a turn for the worse, so we were double and triple teamin g her care. Mom passed away Thanksgiving afternoon and her funeral was Tu esday, so everyone's goings-on had been delayed.

I'd like to point out, the Hospice girl, Rosalyn, caring for Mom, was fanta stic, dedicated and very caring. Rosalyn's Dad passed away Thanksgiving m orning.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

This is even more tangential.

Prompted by learning about misdirected returns from Amazon store fronts, a reporter investigates and finds a web of strangely named stores with strange content all with an apparent connection to a cult-like religious group.

I walk by one of the addresses mentioned, 235 Montgomery Street regularly. It's an old-fashioned office tower[*] with a directory of businesses on the wall right inside the door. (Newer office buildings do not have those directories at all.) There are picketers in front, so I didn't go in to look at the directory.

[*]
Built 1927

Elijah

------ found the article quite fascinating

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

e at Lowes. The box looked pristine, but the insides had a few minor blemi shes.... didn't think much of it at the time. Installed the disposer, chec ked for leaks - water poured out of the dish washer port. Kitchenette does n't have a dishwasher. Someone had popped out the dishwasher plug. Well, thought maybe I could make a plug and did so. Leak test was ok. Flipped t he switch, got only a hum. Motor is jammed and there's a metal grinding no ise, when I tried to turn it manually.

y ring or chain link) fell out, bent/disfigured. Other loose metal soundi ng debris still inside. Returned, got a new one, installed today, that work s fine.

port, may be another sign someone didn't know what they were doing with th eir install and/or operation.

t ring was obviously foreign to a disposer.

I bought a Ridgid wet-dry vac in a brand new looking box. Taped up and everything. Got it home and found about 2 inches of drywall debris in the canister.

I don't 100% blame that on HD. If the previous customer disguised the package well enough that it looked like it was returned unopened, I can certainly see them saying "Anything wrong with it?" "No, just changed my mind." or "Funny thing happened: my wife bought me one too!"

Next thing you know, it's back on the shelf, unchecked. Next *next* thing you know, it's in my shop.

Reply to
DerbyDad03