Read the instructions!

Recently bought a product from SF with the DeWalt brand name.

Affixed to said product was a label encouraging me to 'read the instructions'.

The product was a pair of rigger gloves :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Please RTFM otherwise you might think they made you able to leap tall buildings in a single bound etc.

Reply to
Graham.
8Okp.4419$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.ams...

ldings in a single bound etc.

  1. Do not use to strangle people. If we didn't say that we'd be liable.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

  1. Hold glove with palm facing you. If thumb area appears on the right hand side, place glove on RIGHT hand, otherwise place glove on LEFT hand. Do this by inserting hand through large hole in base. Pull on tightly, ensuring that only one finger goes into each sleeve of fabric.
  2. Repeat for other glove.
  3. Double check that gloves are fitted to correct hands, and that both gloves are secure, with hand completely inserted. If glove is a loose fit, purchase gloves in smaller size.
Reply to
Bob Eager

I've just bought a pair of basin taps. Each consisted of a tap, soft plastic washer, and plastic nut, yet there was a whole page of instructions, which were anyway wrong! (The said put the washer under the basin, rather than on top between tap and basin...)

Reply to
BartC

lol

yabbut now I've got 2 gloves with their thumbs pointing the same way :)

Do not use gloves as condoms. You indemnify us from all claims for child support.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

When I bought a washing machine some years ago, the chaps who dumped it on my kitchen floor said "Remove the red travel bar" and left. I spent about an hour going through the instructions, disappearing off at intervals to find a new size spanner and wondering all the time how the average non-DIYer was expected to cope. Proud of myself, I turned over the final page and read: "Phone xxxxxx for free installation."

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Righto. I managed to identify which was the palm side of the glove, but for the next edition of the instructions please ensure some guidance is given in this area - not every customer is as clever as I am.

OK, so I held the glove with the palm facing me and the thumb area was on the right. I placed the glove on my right hand, but the fingers were all in the wrong place.

Grr. Your stupid instruction caused me to attempt to put the left glove on my right hand.

Why don't instruction writers think before they write? You omitted to say that, while holding the glove with the palm facing me, the glove's fingers (especially the two next the thumb) had to be pointing up.

Mind you, one good thing about this instruction is that it works even for people who get left and right the wrong way round.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Did they advise you to wear googles while using the product too?

Reply to
John Stumbles

In article , Bob Eager writes

  1. If in doubt about your competence to install this product, consult a qualified professional.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Most instructions for power tools these days come with pages and pages of generic safety and disposal instructions - with the actual wanted bit a few lines. Often not well written.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are talking about test ratings for the gloves or for the instructions?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Presumably the instructions would give you their BS EN388: 2003 test ratings.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That's my pet rant too. Very often the actual usage instructions are so brief that it's not safe to use the tool because you don't know how.

Reply to
tinnews

Huh! On a packet of sheets of sandpaper there was something about unplugging from the mains - I really wanted portable sandpaper ;-(

Reply to
PeterC

I've thought of one for a safety helmet: No user serviceable parts inside.

Reply to
Graham.

11" frisbee "Not suitable for children under 36 months due to small parts". 36 month old crocodiles, perhaps, might choke on something that size.
Reply to
Skipweasel

My ride-on lawnmower came with a 1/4" thick A4 booklet, of which about 2 sides was actual operating instructions. The rest of it was warnings against inserting bodily extremities into hot, sharp, rotating parts of the mower.

The mower was also cover in stickers with similar warnings.

I threw the book away and took the stickers off with a hot air gun.

Reply to
Huge

I love it; go-faster anti-stripes!

Reply to
Skipweasel

Oh, I also stuck some spare racing stickers from the TVR on it just for amusement.

Reply to
Huge