Finish Question

Hi Group, I have a finishing question, I need ti re-finish a entertainment center top. that I had built about 40 years ago. (cut it down to fit a new tv) I believe it was finished with lacquer originally. I'd like to use lacquer again and spray it. HVLP gun. I've looked at Minwax which is suppose to be oil based but it says apply with a brush. Can it be thinned for spraying? Any suggestions on an other brand. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
James

hubops

??? You say you want to use lacquer but then you ask about "oil-based". Lacquer is not oil-based. It is dissolved in a solvent but the chemistry is different from an oil-based finish.

Generally speaking if you're using a real lacquer you can thin to any consistency you want by just adding more solvent.

Just be aware--everything that comes out of the spray gun will burn vigorously and be hard to put out if it lights, and it's also highly toxic--don't spray it with HVLP indoors unless you're _sure_ you know what you're doing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks or all the input. I ended up using Deft. Two parts lacquer one part lacquer thinner. Set it up and sprayed it out side then moved it inside. Dried real fast. Going to let it set over the weekend, going to be out of town, lightly sand it when I get back and hit it again.

B.T.W.This is how Lowes lists it on their web site and that's what's on the shelf.

9913807
Reply to
James

That's Lowes being ignorant--if it's not waterborne then it's "oil based". According to the Minwax site, the major ingredient other than lots and lots and lots of solvents is "cellulose nitrate", which make it more or less a classic lacquer. Interesting though that there seems to be a little bit of epoxy in it.

Reply to
J. Clarke