OT Porter Cable Router $99.00 Amazon.com

Thought you guys might want to know of this deal.

Rich

but still, it's a Porter Cable

That used to mean something 10 years ago. Now you better do your homework. PC is not what it use'ta be as they are becoming more and more hobbiest grade.

Reply to
Leon

rahul.net...

Make that 20 years .... That started with their belt sander motor bearings, then the smaller bodies on the 'production' routers. I gave up on them after that.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yes, sad to say. It's the old formula, big company buys smaller company, keeps the name, drops the quality. PC might not be done to Black & Decker level yet, but they're headed there.

Reply to
DGDevin

Make that 20 years .... That started with their belt sander motor bearings, then the smaller bodies on the 'production' routers. I gave up on them after that.

------------------------------------ The ONLY belt sander that PC ever made that was worth a good fiddly f*ck was the "Choo-Choo", Model 504, which may explain why the don't make it any more.

Personally burned out the 350 & 360 series units several times before biting the bullet ($) and getting the 504.

Like someone said, today's Porter-Cable and POS have a lot in common.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Agree that PC quality has gone downhill. But I do believe they still make a decent router. Have a few of the newer ones and have not had a problem yet with any of them. The Cordless Drills and sanders are worthless. Like you said do your homework and look at the reviews.

Guess you could make the argument I could buy 3 or 4 of these routers to one of the ones you push, Festool :)

Reply to
Rich

I don't recall anyone here ever 'pushing' a Festool router. Most agree that it is a nice piece, but just too much money. In fact, I don't know very many people who own Festool routers. Just a few. Festool makes certain pieces of equipment that are simply 'nonpareil' and I'm not talking chocolates either. No manufacturer builds a line of tools that is the best at everything, taking simple value-for-dollar into consideration. Having said that, those routers from Festool are probably the best routers out there, but hard to justify the money. Same with that Kapex mitre saw... there are saws like that with 95% of the performance for half the money.

Besides, there are those who don't deserve a Festool tool, just like some hack fiddler doesn't deserve a Stradivarius.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thats why there is a smiley face behind it. Ok maybe "push" was the wrong word. Leon is always talkin Festool and Leon mentioned that PC was not what they use to be, which is true. I just made a comment about the difference in value to cost. Hell, I don't even know if Festool makes a router. Why is it that there is always someone that has to make a big deal about something that doesn't deserve it. Geeeeeeeeeeeez

Reply to
Rich

"Robatoy" wrote

Ahhh......, but that begs the question, "Are there some hack fiddlers who deserve Festools?"

Reply to
Lee Michaels

IF the hack fiddler can't fiddle worth a fig, but he can make a nice jewelry box...yes, he/she could deserve a Festool. :-)

Reply to
Robatoy

Keep your shirt on, bro'. I didn't notice the smiley...my bad.... It was neither a big deal, nor did I make it one.... just a gentle ribbing. I was just trying to help you out by pointing out the error of your ways before Swingman got a hold of you......>>>SMILY!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Bingo. My gripe, exactly. (Half or less money.) If Festering dialed up the profit number 20% instead of 200-350%, I wouldn't have anything to gripe at 'em about.

The number of unworthies comes up to at least 80% of all violinists, doesn't it, Toy? Then again, a really nice tool can make a hack a bit better, so what's the harm? Now, -which- are the really nice tools?

-- A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on. -- William S. Burroughs

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok I admit I wrote the response with my shirt off and in my boxers. Thanks again for the heads up on Swingman, but I'm a big boy. Thinking I can handle him. >>>>SMILY!!!

Reply to
Rich

BUT... for many of their tools and dust-collection integration, Festool is unbeatable. Their sanders alone are unequalled.... and worth every nickel. That's the feedback I'm getting, without exception, about the Tracksaw System as well... again, another winner.

In powertools, across the board, you can't lose with Festool. Is their jigsaw THAT much better than Bosch's? Are their routers THAT much better than Milwaukee's? Is that Kapex (aside from dust-collection) THAT much better than quite a few good sliders, like the Makita, newer Bosch, and now that Milwaukee brute? Does anybody else make a Domino? Well? Huh? I'm asking!!

Their cordless drills? Overpriced, IMHO, as is their electric planer... but.. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG buying ANY Festool product..and THAT, my dear C-less, is worth a shitload to a guy who wants reliability and integration.... and has a solid enough business, current and in outlook, that he can afford those expenditures.

Does Snap-On make s**te? Will an ACE hardware store 2.00 dollar screwdriver do?

- William S. Burroughs

Reply to
Robatoy

Not to me.

"Not yet." he stated, quite impatiently.

Reliability? Even with half my tool inventory consisting of HF tools, I've had very few tool dropouts, and those which did did so in the first minutes of their lives. How much better is a Festering sucker than a ShopVac with an inch of water in the bottom + a HEPA filter? OK, so it's considerably quieter. It's also ~$400 more expensive.

Not so much and no, respectively.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

IF the hack fiddler can't fiddle worth a fig, but he can make a nice jewelry box...yes, he/she could deserve a Festool. :-)

Like this'n? ;~)

Leon

I guess if you were actually buying Festool and not pleased with your purchase, you would have a gripe. I cannot afford a Bently but don't gripe about that, and I would suppose their profit margin is the range you believe Festool to be in.

Reply to
Leon

BUT... for many of their tools and dust-collection integration, Festool is unbeatable. Their sanders alone are unequalled.... and worth every nickel. That's the feedback I'm getting, without exception, about the Tracksaw System as well... again, another winner.

In powertools, across the board, you can't lose with Festool. Is their jigsaw THAT much better than Bosch's? Are their routers THAT much better than Milwaukee's? Is that Kapex (aside from dust-collection) THAT much better than quite a few good sliders, like the Makita, newer Bosch, and now that Milwaukee brute? Does anybody else make a Domino? Well? Huh? I'm asking!!

Have you seen the new yet to be released Festool Jigsaw? The battery powered version willl work with any Festool battery that will fit back to

2006 and will use any voltage battery. The LED light that strobes like a timing light to give a better view of the blade and makes it appear to not be moving when in an up right position. The shoe comes off so you can replace it with a "dial in your bevel angle" shoe that lets you lean the saw over to the desired bevel, left or right, with out readjusting. The base forms a "V" obtuse or acute.

(Popular+Woodworking)

Their cordless drills? Overpriced, IMHO, as is their electric planer... but.. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG buying ANY Festool product..and THAT, my dear C-less, is worth a shitload to a guy who wants reliability and integration.... and has a solid enough business, current and in outlook, that he can afford those expenditures.

New drill coming out also with right angle attachment, $240-$300 range.

Reply to
Leon

I should hope so, but will it last 15~20 years like the old stuff did? I have a 22 year old PC right angle ROS that I retired 3 years ago, it still runs as good as it did when new although I have worn out the pad 3 or 4 times, same goes for my old PC SpedBloc. The SpedBloc however did poop out about 5 years ago and I replaced it with the same model but unfortunately it is not the same tool. That was my last PC purchase. My type 1 557 plate joiner still works well as did its belt driven predecessor.

Reply to
Leon

's not a jewelery box. Admit it, you were making a tool box for all your Festool accessories and decided it wasn't big enough.

Reply to
Upscale